Gun Cigarette Lighter

Shuck.

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone could help.. I wanted to make one of these for a while but I'm deciding to do it for a friend's birthday present.

Just wanted to ask about the legality of making and giving one of these away.. It would be a scale replica if possible and before I went and wasted cash on one as I remember them being quite expensive, I thought it's best checking!

Cheers all! ;)

P.S. I first posted this in the Crafts & DIY section, but being as I'm not really discussing the making bit, just asking the question, I think it's better off here.

If any mods could please delete my thread in Crafts & DIY it'd be appreciated, thanks! :blush:

Edited by Shuck.

Might be a bit complex, what are you making it out of?, what machine tools do you have access to?

What about making a wick lighter out of a 20mm cannon shell like they did in WW1 trench art.

Like this one (or similar)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Lighter-possibly-trench-art-working-/150732945560?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item2318623898

Making a lighter shaped like a pistol could be 'dodgy ground'

I thought it would be a bit of a grey subject which is why I brought it to pw, but I'm sure I have the tools to do what I need to do.

The plan was to have a modified magazine (which I guessed I'd have to make for the 'caliber' (standard size cigs) and have a working bolt action that cycles the cigarette into the mock chamber with a heating element inside a blanked off barrel.

The cannon shell is a good idea but I've kinda had my heart set on this project for a while now and want something completely original!

..plus being able to say I've done it too would be awesome!

Edited by Shuck.

I have a lighter in a brass bullet case that my grandad made, if that's what you mean ? I'll try dig it out as he left it in his toolbox for me and post a pic, it's a nice little thing. I'd be pleased to get it as a present if a shooter or interested in the sport/military. I'd of thought it will be ok, as it's not actually a live round.

Yeah dan, basically the base model would be a deactivated AK 47, and the lighter would only ever be used in a house.

It'd never be used outside and the barrel would still be blocked but enough room in the barrel to hold the cigs for ignition. Then it'd have a tiny wire mesh that would ignite the cigarette next to the barrel block..

Somebody must know the laws and be able to shed some advice, I thought it might be a grey area at first but now I'm thinking of all the paintball guns out there, full scale replicas of assault rifles, not with any kind of coloured markings to distinguish them from the real deal. Thinking that, I can't see how it would be in a different category to any other realistic looking bb gun?

Just took a look at the HO guidelines for the deact AK 47, and apparently the bolt carrier rails must be welded.. So that's that out the window :/

There shouldn't be a problem with a cheap airsoft gun replica but would've been nice to have an authentic one, not rubbish plastic. Oh well never mind, I could always add weights and stuff for a better feel :hmm:

If I do try it with the bb gun/paintball gun I'll post pics of the process if anyone is interested.. I'll have to find a broken one somewhere as I'm not going to fork out much though so if anyone has any ideas I'd locate something like that please give us a shout :P