Moly Bullets - Advice please

Hi All

Just some advice needed please.

I have recently bought a .223 rifle (browning) and have zeroed it with 'normal' bullets, I have fired about 40 rounds through it from new.

It shoots good tight groups.

I have 200 40 grn moly bullets heads which I am considering loading up and using, my question is :-

1.If I scrub the barrel clean from copper fouling and start using the moly bullets, can I go back to 'normal' bullets without any accuracy problems ?.

Thanks in anticipation.

Al.

I've shot Hornady A-Max and Lapua Scenar in both moly and non-moly and not found any problems (or difference in grouping) going from one to the other. Currently shooting off the last of my non-moly A-Max and Noslers then I have 300 Lapua moly to go through, after that I will be getting 2000 Nosler Custom Competition or non-moly A-Max and sticking with those.

I give my barrel a good scrub with both Philips and Hoppes #9 and not seen any problems.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply, I was just a bit concerned in case I used the moly bullet then found the accuracy had gone with the standard bullets and then being unable to get the moly out of the barrel, but you seem to have had no problems, so i will give them a go.

Thanks again.

Be advised that moly does attract and hold moisture and is not currently in vogue with many shooters/barrelmakers here. If you decide you don't like moly bullets the fix is easy, pop them in a brass tumbler and give them a few hours. They will come out with just a bit of gray stain on the copper jacket.

I shot moly when it first became popular and found no advantage to them and if you chrono your loads you will find them slower with Moly as I did. My draw to them was less frequent cleaning but I just ended up with a lot of Moly to scrub out and vowed to shoot naked bullets and clean like I should.

Thanks Coyotemaster

Thats the other side to the argument, I have been checking out other sites for opinions and its clear that opinions vary.

I have plenty of standard bullets to use up first, so I will give it more thought - maybe its safer to clean them off in a tumbler.

Cheers.

Al.

Moly was a bit of a fad that has come and gone. Its benefits have not stood the test of time. Buy them by all means but don't pay extra for them believing you are getting something extra for your money.You should scub out your barrel either way so its no hardship.

Edited by Vince Green