whats the law on crayfrish

fazer 1000

Link doesn't work for me...

Try this http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/188658-important-crayfishing-info/page__p__1600450__hl__crayfish__fromsearch__1#entry1600450

or,

Do a search for crayfish (search box, top right hand corner).

But in a nutshell, you need to fill in a CR1 form (http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandguides/cr1.pdf) and register. They will supply you with tags for your traps. As long as the stretch of water you put down is ok, it's a case of plopping in your pots and harvesting the bounty. You might want to check with the local water bailiff too. There is a handy (and free) information pack you can get here from the Environmental Agency.

Hope that helps

huffhuff

Edited by huffhuff

But in a nutshell, you need to fill in a CR1 form (http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandguides/cr1.pdf) and register. They will supply you with tags for your traps. As long as the stretch of water you put down is ok, it's a case of plopping in your pots and harvesting the bounty. You might want to check with the local water bailiff too.

huffhuff

but, and it's a grey area but, the EA give you permission to catch crays, and they supply tags to fix to your nets etc, but and this is the "but" that is still not the land owners permission, now speaking with a friend in "the know" privatly owned water courses you could get done for theft/poaching, but council owned areas its a different matter, you cannot be done for stealing a wild animal

the new tags from the EA, my 8 were delivered before xmas and last until dec 2014, are a different layout than the old tags, these ones have on the very bottom "you still need landowners permission" sadly I had to cut this bit off, for them to fit on my nets propelly :lol:

at the end of day, it's a non native species that cannot (by law) be put back into the river, Im happy to take my chances on the "grey area" plus Im friends with a very good barrister :D

Edited by stubby

but, and it's a grey area but, the EA give you permission to catch crays, and they supply tags to fix to your nets etc, but and this is the "but" that is still not the land owners permission, now speaking with a friend in "the know" privatly owned water courses you could get done for theft/poaching, but council owned areas its a different matter, you cannot be done for stealing a wild animal

the new tags from the EA, my 8 were delivered before xmas and last until dec 2014, are a different layout than the old tags, these ones have on the very bottom "you still need landowners permission" sadly I had to cut this bit off, for them to fit on my nets propelly :lol:

at the end of day, it's a non native species that cannot (by law) be put back into the river, Im happy to take my chances on the "grey area" plus Im friends with a very good barrister :D

plus Im friends with a very good barrister

Who likes eating Crayfish :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frozen ones from ikea! But not seen them anywhere else. We have a huge amount here in loch ken and the dee in places it looks like the river bed is moving! Local hotel used to serve them but got charged! Local fishery trust tried to remove them got permission from scottish exec and trapped a million a couple of years back made no difference :( local trout farm was closed because of them as they were banned from moving fish in case of contamination. The reason they don't want people to fish for them is this will develop a market and encourage futher introduction of American signal Crayfish which could ruin our salmon rivers :(

Edited by utectok