decoying on rape

Matt Gould

decoying rape is very frustrating as M.I.A has said they tend to dissapear after a couple of shots,the best pattern for rape is a bunch of decoys in a circle and have the flapper on the edge when ever i watch pigeon on rape that is how they feed :good:

it would be a good idea to use your hushpower too

Got today off and went pigeon shooting on the rape (lucky me). Got there about 7.30 and set up shop. initially i put out 26 shells and 7 full bodies 2 of which i put up in a bush with my lofters on the hedge row i was shooting. as i had the wind coming over my shoulder i had the birds out in a loose v shape pattern facing me about 25yards to 30 yards away. After i shot my first bird i put that on a bouncer about 20 yards behind one end of the v as if it was flying into it. After i had a another bird i done the same on the other side but about 50 yards from the other end of the v. after i had a another brace i put them on the magnet smack bang in the middle of the v about 40 yards from my hide. This worked fine and most of the pigeons in the area (which wasn't a lot) came in for a look. If it hadn't kept bloody raining i would of had a good day but it didn't it ****** down instead so i ended up with 18 birds for roughly 40 shots-i should of shot more i was shooting like a plank! they were pretty testing shots though! hope this helps

Tom

Edited by tomhw100

Got today off and went pigeon shooting on the rape (lucky me). Got there about 7.30 and set up shop. initially i put out 26 shells and 7 full bodies 2 of which i put up in a bush with my lofters on the hedge row i was shooting. as i had the wind coming over my shoulder i had the birds out in a loose v shape pattern facing me about 25yards to 30 yards away. After i shot my first bird i put that on a bouncer about 20 yards behind one end of the v as if it was flying into it. After i had a another bird i done the same on the other side but about 50 yards from the other end of the v. after i had a another brace i put them on the magnet smack bang in the middle of the v about 40 yards from my hide. This worked fine and most of the pigeons in the area (which wasn't a lot) came in for a look. If it hadn't kept bloody raining i would of had a good day but it didn't it ****** down instead so i ended up with 18 birds for roughly 40 shots-i should of shot more i was shooting like a plank! they were pretty testing shots though! hope this helps

Tom

The only problem i find with that is the distance of the magnet. As is so often the case when i'm decoying, pigeons decoy right into the magnet. If it's 40 yards out and they decoy to it and flare, they'll quickly be out of range. That's why i rarely have my magnet further than 20 yards from the hide and sometimes less than 10.

As for the position, i would (if using just one), put the magnet on the side opposite to where the strongest flightline is coming from. I also put it on the side that i wish to shoot the birds. ie if there is a road 100 yards to the left( obviously unsafe to shoot that way) but clear on the right, i would put the magnet to the right of my pattern.

The only problem i find with that is the distance of the magnet. As is so often the case when i'm decoying, pigeons decoy right into the magnet. If it's 40 yards out and they decoy to it and flare, they'll quickly be out of range. That's why i rarely have my magnet further than 20 yards from the hide and sometimes less than 10.

As for the position, i would (if using just one), put the magnet on the side opposite to where the strongest flightline is coming from. I also put it on the side that i wish to shoot the birds. ie if there is a road 100 yards to the left( obviously unsafe to shoot that way) but clear on the right, i would put the magnet to the right of my pattern.

yea i know what you mean it depends what the birds are doing,i have had the magnet on one side a fair few times (i shot my best bag doing it) though today i had my bouncers either side which did work, if the birds are goin the wrong side of the magnet as you said i bring it in 10 yards or so it all depends on where the birds are coming from and how they are reacting to the decoys I've had birds literally fly around the magnet a land in front of it before,it all depends on the wind and everything.

That is just one days shooting and the way i did it today, it depends greatly on the wind and where theres a flight line or obstruction (footpath or power line ) and where the birds are coming from on the day that ultimately makes me decide to where to put my decoys,magnet and bouncers, some times its just trial and error,watch the birds see if they flare out or stay wide and alter your pattern to suit,other days they come in a dream.

Good luck mate!

Edited by tomhw100

Though I love the magnet, i tend to use it more when I'm trying to catch the birds attention from distance. If I'm close or under the flightline I usually start without the magnet and just the flapper. If I'm not enticing them to the pattern I'll try the magnet as well.

I'm with Motty on the placement of the magnet. Try to place it so as the birds approach to see it they get to the decoys first. I also place it closer to the hide rather than further out unless I really have to.

Knowing your reasonably new to decoying, I would try the flapper without the magnet to start with as it's a lot more forgiving on placement; if you get the magnet placement wrong you're more likely to scare them off than entice them in. That's not to say the magnet is t an excellent tool when decoying.

Though I love the magnet, i tend to use it more when I'm trying to catch the birds attention from distance. If I'm close or under the flightline I usually start without the magnet and just the flapper. If I'm not enticing them to the pattern I'll try the magnet as well.

I'm with Motty on the placement of the magnet. Try to place it so as the birds approach to see it they get to the decoys first. I also place it closer to the hide rather than further out unless I really have to.

Knowing your reasonably new to decoying, I would try the flapper without the magnet to start with as it's a lot more forgiving on placement; if you get the magnet placement wrong you're more likely to scare them off than entice them in. That's not to say the magnet is t an excellent tool when decoying.

Very very true!