.223 home loads

i found some 45gr speer bullets at the back of my cupboard the other night and decided to try some loads using varget to see if i could get a fast, flat round, (thought i would try it since i had my mates chrono). hodgdon states a starting load of 25 grain and a max load of 28c. i loaded 5 at 26grain and worked up in .5 grain increments to 28 grain, which filled the case to the top, (had to tap the case to get the powder out of the filler). hodgdon states a vel of 3071fps with 25 grain and 3477fps with 28 grain. heres the results i got-

26gr 7/8" @ 100 vel avg 1712

26.5 5/8 @ 100 vel avg 2923

27gr 13/8 @ 100 vel avg 1851

27.5 13/8 @ 100 vel avg 3094

28gr 1/12 @ 100 vel avg 2025 (no signs of preasure)

i am quite bamboozled

phaedra1106 rightly stated that 24gr on h4895 with a 52gr a-max seems a bit low. i had a look through my notes from july last year when i worked up the load i use all the time and i have writen down that 25gr and 25.5gr of h4895 was flattening the primers and 26gr and 26.5gr was flattening the primers and there was gasses leaking around the primer,there seemed to be quite a recoil with the gun so i backed it of to 24gr and had a 5 shot group at 3/8" and that is what i stuck with. i have loaded hundreds of this same load and it has been bang on since i think i am doing things right but since working with this chrono i am starting to wonder. is this just the joys of reloading or am i doing something wrong?

now that i have bored the tits off you guys i look forward to some help/criticism/p**s taking or all of the afore mentioned :lol: :lol:

My advice is not to get hung up on MV, how often are you shooting over 200 yards anyway?

If you know anyone with the Quickload software, it would be worth running your load through that, as when I did it the results were VERY close to real life... Despite what figures hodgdon with their 40 inch barrel produce

GB

Changed from Hodgdon to VihtV N133 never looked back :good:

My experience as well - use 130 for 50gr and 133 for 40grain - Mv with 40's and 133 is 3600 very flat and accurate. Shot 2 foxes consecutively at 182 and 190 off sticks. By far my favourite load.

the most accurate load i worked up for my .223 a-bolt is, rem brass, win primer, 52gr a-max over 24gr of h4895. i tried the loads for the first time over my mates chronograph today and found that the average velocity was 2825fps! does this seem a bit low?

I had a 52 grn er doing that from a 222 years ago, I was disapointed when I found out and sought more speed, daft really as the week before I shot a vixen with two shots at 388paces.

With hind sight it was enough, ok more vel is ok but that bullet at that speed is still "mustard".

U.

thanks for the replies.

dont get me wrong i am still happy with my load and wont be changing it, just surprised at the low velocity. i was also surprised at the result with the 45gr speer, i didnt think that velocity could increase and decrease as the powder load increased, i always thought that more fuel meant more zoom.

i will speak to my firearms dealer and see if he can get me up some vihtv to try sometime. he does have some vectan sp10 and sp7, has anyone tried vectan? just out of interest :hmm: