serial numbers

bullet1747

I recently bought a shotgun without any make or number on it from a gun shop, I think all the gun had written on it was nitro, he just put down the size (410) type (single barrel nitro) and didn't have anything to put down for the make or serial number.

It does say on your certificate where it's filled in "Type, gauge or calibre, maker's name and description (including identification if known)", so you just fill it out as best you can, they accept not all guns have numbers on them.

I recently bought a shotgun without any make or number on it from a gun shop, I think all the gun had written on it was nitro, he just put down the size (410) type (single barrel nitro) and didn't have anything to put down for the make or serial number.

It does say on your certificate where it's filled in "Type, gauge or calibre, maker's name and description (including identification if known)", so you just fill it out as best you can, they accept not all guns have numbers on them.

:good::good: cheers m8

This is interesting - serial numbers are not the be all and end all of identification as they are not UNIQUE. I only realised this some years ago when two detectives from PSNI came to interview me claiming that they had seized one of my shotguns when they caught a couple of low lifes trying to rob a sub post office.

It was a pleasure to see their faces when I told them [after I had seen their IDs] that they were mistaken and that my guns were all in the cabinet - we then had a look - the weapon in question was there - and it transpired that my gun and the one they had seized each had an identical serial number.

Presumably different gun makers do their own thing or is there an international registry nowadays [my gun was around 100 years old].

I have subsequently thought on the coincidence of two guns each with the same number both being in the same locality in Northern Ireland.

Anyone have an answer on how modern numbering works?

with out s/n in theroy you cant prove its yours can you ???

Yes you can-you use a description no matter how vague.

I know someone who has an old Remmington 44 calibre pistol which has no serial numbers and this is on his FAC simply as a '44 cal muzzle loading pistol'.Provided the gun dont sprout legs and walk off the Police are happy with this arrangement because they appreciate that old guns were not all numbered.All they want to know is where it is.

I bought a single barrel 12 folder,

the dealer entered it on my licence as no number,

after I cleaned it I found a number under some dried grease, I told my local force in a letter, next renewal It was on my licence twice, one with number once without,

I bought a single barrel 12 folder,

the dealer entered it on my licence as no number,

after I cleaned it I found a number under some dried grease, I told my local force in a letter, next renewal It was on my licence twice, one with number once without,

I'd be in touch with them about that ASAP, they could start giving you trouble if you got a visit to check up on you, the visiting officer would be looking for an extra gun that doesn't exist