Chainsaw problems!

Reload

Hi all,

I have an old Jonsered 630. It needed a new bar and chain, so they were bought and fitted today. I got an Oregan bar along with a multicut chain, as it will be cutting hard fruit trees. Anyway, after assembly and correct adjusment, I noticed that I couldn't pull the chain round the bar by hand as it seems to be too tight in the bar groove. I thought this might be the case with a new bar, and maybe it would be OK after it was run in by the motor. No such luck! It is like the chain brake is on, but it's been checked and all is fine there.

Am I missing something? Or is it the wrong chain for the bar? That would be annoying as I bought them as a pair from the same company...

if you have the original bar it should have the size and number of links stamped into it's side ( eg 72 3/8 )

check the link size is the same for the new chain and bar, your new bar may be longer or shorter so the link number can change but the size needs to be the same

does the new bar have a sprocket in the end, or is it the cheaper bull nose type? (not seen one in ages) if so the chain needs to be more slack

to check the oiler run the saw with no bar and cover and watch the oil run from the oiling hole