Saurdays fox'in

Underdog

As it came light I slowly crunched my way into position in the frozen rain and snow, slipping and sliding all the way. I seriously doubted why I was there a few times! I made my stand over looking the area I worked last Saturday and within one hour he came walking along, as he got closer and closer I just could not get a shot off. Then I lost sight of him over a ledge just in front of my position where upon he started to gently bark.

In front of me was a holly bush and he reappeared under it to which he noticed a pheasant, a pheasant that must of been hiding from me for over an hour!

The 150grn Hornady SP slammed into him knocking him over his mouth wide open seeking to attack his assailant untill he succumb. 25yds!

Look in the picture under the Holly, he is there.

febsatfoxs001.jpg

febsatfoxs005.jpg

Returning back to the car I took a walk with the shotgun only due to being wrapped up against the cold I was constantly missing the rabbits so opted to visit a little place with young trees to see if I could get another vixen I know of but she is very wary and wise to my efforts. The recent cold and a shortage of food made me think I may have a chance.

I gave a good ole' rabbit sqeal on my hand, and then again and paused. Some jay's came straight in and squalked at me, I responded by squealing fast and hard again. Then there she was, coming in steady easy to see against the snow.

At 15 yards I waited untill she dipped her nose to check the ground and slammed the first 11/8oz of 5s, even at that short distance she growled loud as she collapsed, the second shot was released as soon as that bead came down on her again of which seemed to take ages and that silenced her!

febsatfoxs006.jpg

febsatfoxs007.jpg

You can see my dog looking and smelling the air, that is the vixens dog following but not coming in. He's for next week!

After returning back to the car for a bite to eat I grabbed the rifle and headed back for another vixen, the one I have been after for weeks. The wind had changed slight and called for me to use a new stand I prepared weeks ago.

Not hoping for much I squealed loud and fast a few times, nothing, I tried again and waited.

Across a small valley in the wood I noticed a rabbit run and stop head bolt upright and against the snow at 100yards or so could clearly see him stamp it's foot and bolt down it's hole, "game on" I said to my self!

Then there she was moving slowly with a limp down the slope, listening and watching. I called again briefly but she just sat. I could not squeeze the 150 Hornady through the sticks. It was the last Hornady round nose I had loaded from a few left over from my 30wcf days and all testing showed it shot to zero at 100 if not an out standing group. Eventually she came closer and clear of any sticks and branches I fired, it missed! Why I don't know! She ran away, I messed up. I waited half an hour and then noticed a woodcock fly close by and land bolt upright! Hmmm I thought! Sure enough she was coming again! Only this time closer.

Now loaded with my pet load I was determined not to srew up again! She must of been real hungry and around 75yards gave me the shot, job done.

febsatfoxs009.jpg

A good day in the field, priceless.

Underdog.

Well done! Out of interest, how long do you call in each location before you try a new spot? I have a few places to go on saturday. Do I give each place 10/15 mins and if they are there they will show up? Or do I call for a lot longer? say 30 mins before changing spot?

Cheers! :good:

Thats a tough one to answer! I go of firstly checking the area for activity, footprints, scats and with pheasants around a cock giving a regular "cock up" alarm call ("cock up", a term an old keeper friend of mine used to describe a pheasant that has seen something it don't like. The hens just squeak).

I try and put some time in then and look for any pattern to their activities, sometimes that is harder than other times!

Once I get an idea of their little area I make a stand or two that will cater for the common wind direction.

I go of feel when calling, most fox around here are savvy to a call, some run away from it! If I get it correct like when the jay's came in I go for it, them squalking only helps convince the fox it is genuine, I gave 4 good bursts of a rabbit squeal on my hand! Same if I call rabbits in, if they are fooled so will a fox plus they then act as a early warning system.

The last fox on Saturday took a good while to appear, 1/2 hour or more and then after missing her :rolleyes: took another 1/2hour or so to return (extremely rare!).

The first vixen came in in less than 5mins! Due no boubt in my mind because of the jay's!

There are no exact rules and I actually prefere good scouting over cold calling including when lamping!

Good luck and don't give up, I may have to go weeks before I have another contact.

U.