Anyone been to Fraser Island?

39TDS

I can get to Hervey Bay OK but want to go to Eli Creek on Fraser Island.

What is the best way to get there?

I want to spend a little time there and preferably not as part of a group of 40 odd. (will be having a word with someone who isn't with us any more)

Anybody done it?

Yes we went in 2007, we drove a camper van from Sydney to Cairns over eighteen days.

As im sure you know there are no surfaced roads on Fraser.

The tracks are all soft sand & 4x4 is essential.

We took a trip with a small group using a small 4x4 bus converted out of an old army vehicle.

But you can take your own vehicle if its suitable, I think you need a permit however if you intend to camp their overnight.

The ferry is like a landing craft & drops you straight onto the beach great fun.

We also took a flight off the beach in a light plane, it gives you a great perspective of the whole island.

We did some swimming at Eli creek but we were told to keep out of the ocean at the time of our visit because of box jellies & sharks.

I really enjoyed Fraser & also the blue mountains near Sydney, don't miss the Whitsunday islands either if you get a chance they have some beautiful beaches.

N

Edited by neil smith

I can get to Hervey Bay OK but want to go to Eli Creek on Fraser Island.

What is the best way to get there?

I want to spend a little time there and preferably not as part of a group of 40 odd. (will be having a word with someone who isn't with us any more)

Anybody done it?

pm markm off here, he did it last year.

:shaun:

pm markm off here, he did it last year.

:shaun:

We booked a private full day hummer tour. You get a personal guide who points things out and you see a lot more in a day instead of waiting for 50 people to get on a bus at every stop. It was expensive but worth it, full buffet picnic with champers as well. We chose this as we had limited time and 2 kids, they carry up to 4 in the hummer.

Thanks.

I only really want a day there. My missus is desperate to go to Eli Creek so looks like we might have to hire a 4wd for the day.

Bus trips with other people isn't really my scene but if she says that's what we will do, then so be it. I will choose for the rest of the trip :D

Thanks.

I only really want a day there. My missus is desperate to go to Eli Creek so looks like we might have to hire a 4wd for the day.

Bus trips with other people isn't really my scene but if she says that's what we will do, then so be it. I will choose for the rest of the trip :D

If you drive yourself be sure to be well equipped, with lots of water & a winch, some of the tracks are deep sand & its easy to get stuck if your not an experienced off roader.

Also its easy to get lost, all the sand tracks look alike & there are no signs & nobody around in the forest, it is a wilderness area.

The island is very large & the tracks across the centre through the forest make for some extreme driving in places, we hit our heads on the roof of the vehicle several times, so be prepared :lol:

On our return to catch the ferry we had to rescue another party who had got themselves stuck in the sand & had broken a driveshaft, in true Oz style our driver hooked up a tow line & dragged them all the way back too the ferry, the thing is if we had not come along they could easily have been stranded in the forest all night & missed the ferry ride back.

Oh & don't feed the dingo's :D

N

Thanks Neil, some good info there.

I am a farmer so do have some off road experience, more swampy mud than soft sand though. I don't mind getting lost and stopping out for the night if it came to that but I think I would end up feeding my missus to the dingos before first light. She would do my head in whingeing all night!

We will be there at the end of April so a bit early for the whales. Maybe I will have to go back another time for that. ;)

The sand is unreal (how deep it is). The hummer we were in had full off road tyres and they serviced the vehicles every 2000 miles. We were thrown around something rotten.

I am sure we were told (apologies if I'm wrong but) unguided tours are no longer allowed, ie - you have to drive the vehicle and follow and do what the guide says in a convoy.

It's not easy going, in fact scarey, the mrs was very worried at times with a driver who spends 5 days a week there. It's massive, to give you some idea the main beach is a 70 mile straight line and is classed as a motorway, you can get done for speeding and drink driving etc. airplanes land on it.

Edited by markm

Some pictures, we went in late April as well, sorry I don't have any of the terrible tracks, we were too busy hanging on tight to take any pics :lol:

On the ferry from Hervey Bay approaching the landing point on fraser.

IMG_0495.jpg

Heading off the ferry

IMG_0497.jpg

75 mile beach from the air, you can get a ride in a small plane that takes off & lands back on the beach, which was good fun, you can see Eli creek on this image, its located a couple of hundred yards past the shipwreck on the beach, just were the sand goes further inland, towards the top of the picture.

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Butterfly Lake from the air, as you can see the forrest is dense & there are no roads, in places the tree's are only inches from the windows as your vehicle slides in the sand.

IMG_0520.jpg

Shipwreck on the beach close to Eli creek.

IMG_0538.jpg

My favorite place on our Oz trip was further north in the Whitsunday Islands, we took a trip from a town called Airlie Beach on a small boat called the Mantaray, it was a one day trip out to the reef & Hill inlet overlooking Whitehaven Beach, again its a conservation area & no tourist buildings are allowed, we then spent a few hours swimming with the fish & lying on the beach a brilliant day.

IMG_0100.jpg

Have a good trip, wish I was going back this year.

N

Edited by neil smith

We done a jet ski safari around the whitsundays, a very good trip.

An other point about the Fraser island tour we done. The driver pointed things out and gave us a lot of information about the island which you will miss or not know if your driving alone.

He told us all about ship wreck etc.

Noosa Heads is a beautiful place to visit.

Edited by markm

We done a jet ski safari around the whitsundays, a very good trip.

An other point about the Fraser island tour we done. The driver pointed things out and gave us a lot of information about the island which you will miss or not know if your driving alone.

He told us all about ship wreck etc.

Noosa Heads is a beautiful place to visit.

Mark

You make a very good point, our driver did a similar thing, they know a lot about the island & its creatures & plants, they will give you a lot of information that you will otherwise miss out on trying to do it yourself.

Thanks again.

It is looking more and more like we will be doing the bus tour thing.

There's a chance my son will turn up with a 4wd and there's a chance a mate that lives over their might come up with a bright idea, but bus trip it is for now.

TBH I am not a fan of tourists and being amongst them so a bus trip isn't my idea of fun. It is only one day and is for my missus' sake as much as anything. I'm sure i will enjoy it all the same.

Never heard anyone that has been to say they didn't rate it. :good: