Jumping up and not sitting

stuart21

Hi all,

I have recently started training my 8 month old lab, I've only had him for just over two weeks. I went to see a trainer over the weekend and he has started us off really well.

He now walks to heel and stays very well, however getting him to sit on the whistle is proving difficult, 9 times out of 10, I have to make him sit rather than do it voluntarily.

Also, he still jumps up, at me and at doors, kitchen worktop etc. Every time he does it I tell him no and push him down, but this is still happening quite a bit and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Any tips?

Thanks

You have had him a fortnight and are trying to get too far too soon IMO. Get to know the dog and him to know you (make friends without the bond you have nothing)- if the jumping up realy winds you up then just work on this but softly, personally i might ignoor him jumping up on me for now at least as you dont want to make him hand shy and just consentrate on what he will do. You say he walks on the lead well? take him for walks and chill for a couple weeks. If he aint getting the stop wistle don't do it just yet. In short the dog probebly wont know its head from its tail with all that instuction / correction and in a new home to boot

You have had him a fortnight and are trying to get too far too soon IMO. Get to know the dog and him to know you (make friends without the bond you have nothing)- if the jumping up realy winds you up then just work on this but softly, personally i might ignoor him jumping up on me for now at least as you dont want to make him hand shy and just consentrate on what he will do. You say he walks on the lead well? take him for walks and chill for a couple weeks. If he aint getting the stop wistle don't do it just yet. In short the dog probebly wont know its head from its tail with all that instuction / correction and in a new home to boot

As above mate, you need to build that bond with him. Remember he has think he needs you more than you need him. Ignore the jumping and turn your back on him when he does it.

I agree with the others sounds as though you are rushing a bit, just cause she is 8 months old does not mean she is ready to start training with you and trying to please you as there might not be a a strong bond. When you want him to sit on the whistle do you mean when he is next to you or when he is running about off lead?

As for the jumping up when i go into my house i ignore the dogs completely for a minute or two, go and get the post turn kettle on whatever then when i am ready give them say hello and give them a big fuss. This also stops them from always running to the door when it opens eventually. To stop him jumping just put your knee out dont use your hands because thats what they wants, dont knee him just put it into his chest to keep him a distance away then when he has all four feet on the ground carry on with the fuss if he jumps up just knee him down again. Also if other people see your dog dont let them jump up onto your friends and family, my family did this as all dog lovers and as soon as they saw them gave the dogs a fuss and let them jump up as was fun for them.