Tough Crow or bad shot?

1 of 5

Only recently getting my SGC and after several practice sessions on the clays I took the shotgun to the farm for the first time on Sunday. Very first shot seemed unbelievably easy. A single crow at 40 yds stationary on the ground. Now normally getting to within 100 yds of a crow is hard work so I suspect this one had poor eyesight :angry: . Shot it with 32g no.6 on half choke. I know I hit it as it cartwheeled backwards. The crow then got up and flew off and was around a tree and dissapearing before I got to let a second shot off. Being used to airgunning I know if I've missed the vital parts with the pellet as I can see it in flight and see the impact but with a shotgun I don't have that luxury.

Wrong load? Wrong choke? Bad shot? Tough bird?

Have hit crows many times in the past and have been amazed how many carry on flying when it is obvious they have been hit.Often I have heard the shot strike the bird and still they carry on.I never use less than 6 shot so I am not just pricking them with undersize loads and can only agree with you that unless hit in the right spots,they are very hard birds to bring down. :angry: