Another Season Over

Pilky

Had my last evening flight last night down at holbeach. The tide wasnt perfect but still manage to get a couple of widgeon.

Just want to see how other peoples see how other peoples seasons have gone? There didnt seem to be as many geese about this year (Apart from Brent) as to last but plent of ducks. Probably due to the warm weather we had through November & December and the cold weather coming to late.

Although not the best evening flight and it being over an hour drive from where i live, sitting on the marsh with the sun going down and the sound / sight of all the wildlife doesnt get much better!

Really hard going down here mate, had a run of 11 flights in late nov - early dec without a shot! had a few mallard and a shoveller early season and a few wigeon and teal late on in the season. But the middle was very slow, think my cartridge count hasn't got above 25 for the year and i reckon i have been out for somewhere near 45 flights

Only managed 2 Gadwalls all season, seen more activity yesterday then i have since Sep.

I dont think i got out more then a hand full of times which is very disappointing this season.

Plus I only managed 2 morning flights which are my fav.

Things wil be different next year with a better plan of which marshes im going to visit etc

My worst season since 1972/73.

(Had a weeks holiday on the Wash marshes that year and never fired a shot).

This year all inland ponds and splashes dry.

(East Anglia is a drought area).

Migratory species just didn't!

Morning flight after morning flight with never a shot fired.

Butterfly weather it used to be known as.

Hope we get a proper winter next season. I'm getting to old to wait around...

Edited by Grandalf

Did ok early on in the season duck shooting on the Holbeach marshes mainly widgeon and a few teal.

Not many flights this year on the stubbles for greylags and canadas they just didnt show like they did for

the past few seasons.

Switched and headed north for the geese in november they seemed to be around but no pressure to fly out

because of the good weather and the late harvest, some mornings they didnt even move! but still shot my usual amount.

Last 2 week of the season inland duck shooting was ok really picked up and we shot good numbers of mallard and geese on

our fed flight pond.

I would say it was average with 14 migrant geese off the foreshore and a good head of ducks.

Last flight tonight on shep whites my with my pal bagging a mallard quick salute and home!!