shooting over oats.......

roy8762

was chattin to the farmer who lets me shoot on his land......asked about what crops were being planted, more rape.....wooooohooooo! as if i havnt seen enough over the winter! and i bee plantin some oats.....ar boy! ok so anyone tell me what to expect decoying over them???? will the pigeons eat them???? this is a new one on me!cheers guys!

was chattin to the farmer who lets me shoot on his land......asked about what crops were being planted, more rape.....wooooohooooo! as if i havnt seen enough over the winter! and i bee plantin some oats.....ar boy! ok so anyone tell me what to expect decoying over them???? will the pigeons eat them???? this is a new one on me!cheers guys!

i saw i few on oats last year just after it was drilled, but once it come through they all vanished, if there is a pigeon flight line over the field maybe worth making a hide and putting a few deeks out under it :) you never know unless you try

il chuck a few deeks out when theey go in see what happens......ive got wheat, rape and oats goinng into the fields......dont know how you all feel but im sick of shooting over the rape in the cold!!!!! failing that theres always clay shooting.......

Dont forget the General Licence allows us to shoot wood pigeon as a mean of Crop protection only. If they aint feeding on Oats theres no pests to control..I would concentrate on the rape..

Drilled wheat is a waste of time these days because there is very little spillage if any at all.

Dont forget the General Licence allows us to shoot wood pigeon as a mean of Crop protection only. If they aint feeding on Oats theres no pests to control..I would concentrate on the rape..

Drilled wheat is a waste of time these days because there is very little spillage if any at all.

:lol: :lol: :lol::P :yp:

surely this means every one who shoots on stubble is breaking the law

surely this means every one who shoots on stubble is breaking the law

Technically it does Yes...the general licence is quite specific...and we all know that !

Doesnt stop us though.

One of my Landowners, who sat on the Defra consultative committee for several years, wont have me shooting on stubble because he likes the birds to hoover up spilt grain rather than have it germinate. He wont let me decoy over pasture or non predated crops.

A couple of years ago he wouldnt even let me shoot over a virgin rape feild saying;.... " the birds havent found it yet and I dont want your decoys flagging up a free meal, when they start hitting it I will give you a ring".

Like Ive said many times before...we shoot to protect crops, decoying pigeons to an area they wouldnt normally predate just to have the pleasure of Killing them is strictly aginst the principles of the Wildlife and Countryside Act. It hasnt been challenged in law yet but I bet it will one day.

I like shooting pigeons admittedly, but I follow the guidelines. Im afraid many of us dont shoot for Crop protection reasons and have to get out every week to shoot something, failing and then losing interest, a fact illustrated by the inordinate amount of second hand shotguns and rifles on the market these days...

Thats the way it is...each to his own..

Hopefully soon the Law will change so as the General Licence is unequivocal and pigeon can be shot at all times over any crop or pasture.

thanks for the all the imput from everyone! im looking forward to when he puts them in! maybe not as much as if they were peas.....but whatever happens i hope the weathers a little warmer......nice enough to sit in the hide with my gun, flask and binoculars and just enjoy NOT being at work!!!!!