PEAS

number 1

The lack of birds in your area must just be down to regional variation 'cos 'round 'ere (north Oxon) it's heaving with 'em. They are feeding on peas, rape, all cereal drillings and clover.

It's excellent shooting where I go at the moment (maybe your birds are holidaying here!) but I suppose they'll move on soon enough!

I couldn't aree more no.1  I spent 1.5 hrs on sat afternoon

going round all my farms armed with my binoculars.

I failed to find a good flight line in that time.

All I noticed was that all the birds are now I 1 huge flock

and sitting right in the middle of a large field on a patch of

rape that has been keept to about 2''.

I cant see how I can get to them, and I cant get them to move.

Anyone else had this experiance?:)?:)?

Birds are decoying well onto peas, although, when inspecting dead birds crops I'm finding lots of them contain grain. Much of the grain still has the pink seed dressing on so it's obviously coming from recent drillings. There also seems to be a lot containing clover leaves. Also, I'm not finding the birds in flocks. They seems to have paired off in this area.

I have shot pigeons twice in the last week over peas, there are plenty of birds but can anyone help me? They will only decoy consistenly shooting from a straw bale hide in the middle of the field ( 45 acres ), i am struggling with which type of pattern to use as they always come in on a flightline into the wind and turn to land at the last moment. i have shot loads using a "rotary device" but they never decoy into the patterns i have laid out. lastly the hide has only been out for four days. ANY ADVICE

Wouldn't pigeon shooting be boring if they weren't so awkward?

The only advice I can think of to help a little is to use a couple of swoopers positioned a few yards apart, either side of the area you want the birds to land. The reason I say this is that I once had a problem getting birds to decoy on a field of volunteer rape. They were hammering the field but ignoring my decoys. I moved my hide a few times with no joy so I eventually set off back to the Landrover. There were so many pigeons coming into the field that I could not bear to leave. I set up 2 swoopers with the couple of birds I'd shot. No decoys.(couldn't be bothered by this stage).

I shot about 30 birds in the space of an hour. I left them all lying where they fell because I didn't want to send the dog out while the shooting was good. But the punch line is this, when I picked the dead birds at the end, every single one was within 10 yards of the swoopers.

Oh, one last thing, if you shot the field twice in such a short time be careful your not overshooting.

Cheers for the advice,

I will try this at the weekend. I always try to rotate pigeon shooting  in different areas however this is only field of peas around here and the farmer had already put out two gas cannons but there were just ignoring it and he was getting well ****** off, so i scored a few brownie points. I also dont like using the rotory device all the time as they shy away from it if used in the same place all the time.

P S  Will let you know how i get on.