.22 hornet, some advice please

And of course you just happen to be one of these people with a wealth of experience?

As Alex has said if you keep ranges sensible on fox then a rimfire will almost certainly do the job - when I say sensible I mean sub 100 yards for a magnum rimfire and in my opinion sub 50 for a 22LR....

I still can't see much need to shoot rabbits long range as normally they are very easy to get close to, and anyone who has more than a "snatch" of experience can find a way to get close to a fox too.... ;) that way you can be pretty much assured of a good kill as long as shot placement is correct, I personally have never had a fox run on if the shot placement has been good with a WMR, or a 22LR - with the 22LR all the foxes were shot withing 40yards of a highseat or vehicle - although I would say I had a bad experience with an HMR although it may have been pushing the effective range a bit as it was infancy the first fox I shot with an HMR - and in reality the last... Although this can be put down to that bad experience and having to empty a mag into the fox to stop it shuffling along the stubble field it was in...

Regards,

Gixer

Regards,

Gixer

Cant realy argue with your findings or range limits. It might suprise you but i quite liked my HMR on Rabbits and hares but if faced with the situation of a fox at 50yds with a .22 sub or 50yds with the HMR i should choose the former HMR=Unpredictability as far as i am conserned. Different ground needs different stuff. There is a guy who comes on here been doing so for over 30yrs with his RF shot a total of one fox Mainly because it was one of those that wistled in like a dog and got clonked at short range. Now my average range here is maybee 150yds, its open heathland and heather Keepered on all sides for miles. Fox dencity is not great due to this and those that survive into the winter are very warey. Many of my foxes during the day are shot at ranges well beyond the norm and in difficult wind conditions. The Hornet will as such never compete with the .243 but it is not meant to

Rabbits at long range? perhaps a couple of dozen a year for me, not a major method but a good way of steadying a novice dog on a long summer evening. The Hornet is very much a bring home anything legal tool without undue range / terminal limitations of the RF magnums

Might i add that i had a fair amount of land in SWEST Scotland were i managed Deer for some years a few foxes during the day following a morning stalk at shorter ranges was more than a possibility there. You simply cannot compare land and range to fieldcraft without knowing the ground in question

Edited by kent

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ on a bike. :rolleyes:

I've read some tosh in my life but some of this takes the cake.

I shot a fox at 140 yards last week with my 'Ornit and it fell on the spot just as dead as if I'd shot it with my .223 or .243.

As a matter of interest I can remember some of these posters asking on the forum a few years ago about how to get their firearms certificates and what guns to get. And now they're EXPERTS all of a sudden, (no names but you know who you are and so do a lot of other forum members).

You want a Hornet matey, get one. You'll not regret it. Buy factory or reload, that's your choice and nobody elses business.

For information I chopped my HMR in to get a Hornet and I've not regretted it in the slightest. It has a definite place in my cabinet as do .22rf, .223, .243 and shotguns. I found HMR to be a marmite calibre and I hated it after a while. Conversely my dear beloved loves hers and shoots it superbly.

Horses for courses. Pick the relevant information out from between the utter garbage it's hidden under and make your own mind up. Best of luck.

• 4 months later...

Christ on a bike. :rolleyes:

I've read some tosh in my life but some of this takes the cake.

I shot a fox at 140 yards last week with my 'Ornit and it fell on the spot just as dead as if I'd shot it with my .223 or .243.

As a matter of interest I can remember some of these posters asking on the forum a few years ago about how to get their firearms certificates and what guns to get. And now they're EXPERTS all of a sudden, (no names but you know who you are and so do a lot of other forum members).

You want a Hornet matey, get one. You'll not regret it. Buy factory or reload, that's your choice and nobody elses business.

For information I chopped my HMR in to get a Hornet and I've not regretted it in the slightest. It has a definite place in my cabinet as do .22rf, .223, .243 and shotguns. I found HMR to be a marmite calibre and I hated it after a while. Conversely my dear beloved loves hers and shoots it superbly.

Horses for courses. Pick the relevant information out from between the utter garbage it's hidden under and make your own mind up. Best of luck.

:good: I have made my mind up. The veriation is in the post.