Discovery mileage

Daveo26

I had a disco 1, 200 tdi engine put leg out of bed at 290,000 miles and spend that last year off its life runing on veg oil.

200 run better on veg, than 300 due to 2 stage injectors on the 200 tdi.

Yes they rot on the back disc 1 dose, but they are old trucks now. and infact did save landrover from going pop.

And are the only 4x4 that 3.5 ton legally on the road in the UK.

Edited by dave dog

Yes they rot on the back disc 1 dose, but they are old trucks now. and infact did save landrover from going pop.

People make a huge fuss over discos rotting but don't defenders rot their ***** out every other week ?

Explain please ? Never heard this bit before

They're a very capable 4x4 though and if you buy one as a toy they're great

Defenders do rot, but its eletrolitic corrosion or corrosion with ally. If its metal it will rot fact! end of story, some metals rot quicker than others and even metals type rot faster than others.

The 3.5 ton tow limit is something that landrover tapped into when they were agricultral based. And cover in the commomn use regs that goverens all road going vicheals in some from or another. and lover have had apply to everything they ever produce since.

Defenders do rot, but its eletrolitic corrosion or corrosion with ally. If its metal it will rot fact! end of story, some metals rot quicker than others and even metals type rot faster than others.

The 3.5 ton tow limit is something that landrover tapped into when they were agricultral based. And cover in the commomn use regs that goverens all road going vicheals in some from or another. and lover have had apply to everything they ever produce since.

I'm not too bothered about ally rust, the series was pretty ratty with it but its not a problem, bulkhead and rear crossmember rot is the real problem with them

Ahhh did not know that, not that I'll ever likely tow that amount but its still good to know its allowed to should the need arise

Iv been looking at a disco 1 its had all the rusty bits replaced and undersealed/waxoiled it runs great and looks tidy but its done 170,000 miles!

Its got a good service history from a Landrover dealer and they are allegedly motorway miles mainly.

Should I discount it due to the mileage?

Its a 300TDI on an "R" plate, Thoughts please :D

Hi Daveo26, I would'nt worry to much about the mileage,as long as chassis is in good nick and there are no obvious problems such bad oil leaks check all drive shafts from transfer box best way to do this is make sure the high low box is in neutral and see if there is any movment in drive shafts,check for rust on out riggers to chissis bodywork, Oh and good luck, you wont go far wrong with a 300tdi they are easy to extract more power if you need. and mine has now cover 205000 miles and still going strong.

Cheers Dave.

post-37374-0-31767600-1331296220.jpg

I had a disco 1, 200 tdi engine put leg out of bed at 290,000 miles and spend that last year off its life runing on veg oil.

200 run better on veg, than 300 due to 2 stage injectors on the 200 tdi.

My little fourtrak also pulls 3.5 ton legally. Brilliant 4x4. Engine bullet proof, just need to keep an eye on sills

Edited by andypaint

I sold my first Disco 1 at 164k, it was running fine with no issues. (I part-exd it for a disco 2)

If its been looked after should be ok.

Hows Vitara doing by the way?

Sold it yesterday, flew through the mot and I was running like a good 'un just need more space and the ability to run on bio :good:

Edited by Daveo26