hornet loads

i am now the owner of a .22 hornet, the shop i got it from chucked in 70 cartridges with the rifle. so as soon as there gone (probaly tonight) i will be reloading the cases. so a question to all that load hornet. what recipes are you loading? and is there much difference in the way of lead bullet over jacketed bullet?

i have half a tub of reloader 7 if there's any load data for that.

oh and the rifle is a cz

Trim case to 1.392

Because you have fire formed, neck size only.

12.5gn Lil'gun

Seirra 40gn varmint sp

COL 1.730in max to fit CZ mag.

It's a good all round load, that is fast flat and final.

There really are hundreds of different loads and no doubt lots of people here will part with there pet load like I have. I could look up some data for your powder if you like, just drop me a PM.

HTH

Edited by Pointer

Trim case to 1.340in

Because you have fire formed, neck size only.

12.5gn Lil'gun

Seirra 40gn varmint sp

COL 1.730in max to fit CZ mag.

It's a good all round load, that is fast flat and final.

There really are hundreds of different loads and no doubt lots of people here will part with there pet load like I have. I could look up some data for your powder if you like, just drop me a PM.

HTH

As per, except 45gn Speer Spitzer purely in case of accuracy or supply problems with the Sierra.

In that case it probably is mine. 12.3 gr h110, 35 vmax, col 1.725, shot 1/2 inch at 225 yards

bushnell scope? and ammo boxes with that load printed on? that i have just found :lol:

cool, out of intrest why did you get rid?.

also you had a mod on it. i shot the remaining v-max couldnt hit a shhet of A4 until i put the T8 on then it was just above the bull every shot

Edited by cockercas

Yes, with Bushnell scope. Used an ASE mod. I got rid because I needed a Nightforce and hadn't fired it for a year. I will likely miss it but for the few rabbits and foxes I shoot now, 222 will be fine

well just to let you know ive shot 30+ rabbits and a fox with it in the last few hours. cracking calibre i love it :good: :good:

.22 Hornet is a great round. I get abround 3,500fps from a 24" barrel with 12 grains of H-110 and a 35 grain V-Max bullet.

J.

What???????????????????? How fast???????????????????????? thats 450fps faster than Hornady factory and they aint exactly renowned for sluggish ammo :o

As for loads, i use Lil Gun powder as it gives very low pressure for velocity. Hornet brass varies a lot as do other factors but i have found it impossible to get enough powder in to give you any issues. Primer choice is very important to get the best std deviation in this round, i am still working on that but i am preffering small pistol primers currently. I much preffer the heavier bullets 45 grn etc. Mine will only shoot 35 v-max at 100yds or less, though many find different in the same gun but the BC is about 1 step above rubbish so a i aint experimenting further with it. I mean its that poor that at 225 yds i found it not worth aiming were everything else has been extreamly tight and tidy

Currently i am getting 2900 FPS with 45 grn seirra hornet bullets, LIl gun powder, RWS brass and small pistol primers. Std deviation is down to 18fps and i am confident i can get that down further

I have cz 527 i load 35gn vmax 13.3 lilgun or 12.5 h110 40gn sierra sp 11.3 h110 40 gn max or sierra blitzking 12,5 h110 or 13 lilgun . i always neck size and light crimp . with lilgun i use small pistol primer with h110 i use small rifle Magnum primer. for the 40 vmax and blitzking i have modified a mag to accept the longer oal failing this you can single load them.

I have cz 527 i load 35gn vmax 13.3 lilgun or 12.5 h110 40gn sierra sp 11.3 h110 40 gn max or sierra blitzking 12,5 h110 or 13 lilgun . i always neck size and light crimp . with lilgun i use small pistol primer with h110 i use small rifle Magnum primer. for the 40 vmax and blitzking i have modified a mag to accept the longer oal failing this you can single load them.

Hi,

Purely and simply out of interest what velocities do those loads generate for the four bullet types and what new COL does your re-worked mag now take?

Many thanks,

Phil

Hi,

Purely and simply out of interest what velocities do those loads generate for the four bullet types and what new COL does your re-worked mag now take?

Many thanks,

Phil

Blitzking 40 gn are 1.894 but with regard to velocity i have no idea as i don't have a chrono i just work up a load for accuracy, they certainly hit hard though.

I modified a mag for my CZ hornet for longer rounds, there are no feed problems. take off the bottom of the mag, then there is a plastic spacer at the BACK of the mag, tap the pins out holding this in place then remove the spacer. Now sand some material from the BACK of this spacer,( i made a replacement spacer by casting some car fibrelass body filler to the right dimensios and sanded it to shape) use your judgement as to how much to remove to accomodate your 40gn OAL. put this spacer back in and resecure. You will have to lengthen the follower either by adding/ epoxying or putty metal a spacer to the back angle of follower. I did it by cutting follower in half then using a thin length of metal used metal putty to fix in place and create a smooth surface to top of carrier.

I load three rounds at a time, usually 40gn Blitzking with an OAL of 1.892". This modded mag will not accept more than three of these rounds probably due to the front spacer needing tweaking, i have not bothered as 3 rounds is enough for me when foxing. I have kept a standard mag for my standard hornet length rounds.

Feel free to PM me if the above is clear as mud!

Blitzking 40 gn are 1.894 but with regard to velocity i have no idea as i don't have a chrono i just work up a load for accuracy, they certainly hit hard though.

I modified a mag for my CZ hornet for longer rounds, there are no feed problems. take off the bottom of the mag, then there is a plastic spacer at the BACK of the mag, tap the pins out holding this in place then remove the spacer. Now sand some material from the BACK of this spacer,( i made a replacement spacer by casting some car fibrelass body filler to the right dimensios and sanded it to shape) use your judgement as to how much to remove to accomodate your 40gn OAL. put this spacer back in and resecure. You will have to lengthen the follower either by adding/ epoxying or putty metal a spacer to the back angle of follower. I did it by cutting follower in half then using a thin length of metal used metal putty to fix in place and create a smooth surface to top of carrier.

I load three rounds at a time, usually 40gn Blitzking with an OAL of 1.892". This modded mag will not accept more than three of these rounds probably due to the front spacer needing tweaking, i have not bothered as 3 rounds is enough for me when foxing. I have kept a standard mag for my standard hornet length rounds.

Feel free to PM me if the above is clear as mud!

Thanks for that! Hope I haven't highjacked the thread, with a bit of luck the OP may have found it of interest. I've no idea how long the 40 Blitzking is, but if you can get the V Max in the mag, that'll be a bit of a brute. Must admit, having no mag, I don't have this problem

Thanks for that! Hope I haven't highjacked the thread, with a bit of luck the OP may have found it of interest. I've no idea how long the 40 Blitzking is, but if you can get the V Max in the mag, that'll be a bit of a brute. Must admit, having no mag, I don't have this problem

all knowledge/questions/answers are welcome. you can never learn to much :good:

actually the blitzking is slightly longer than the 40 vmax .