Scientific Woody

Highlander

Does anyone know of a scientific study, a book or paper that’s been written especially about Woody and the weather? I know most of the books but they all just rattle on about decoys and patterns and stuff but no real info on weather. We all know the weather, especially the wind, effects Woodys movements and feeding habits but I think there’s more to it than that.

Having kept some records over a fairly lengthy period albeit on an ad hoc basis I believe there’s some correlation between Woodys habits and more than just the wind. Barometric pressure for one. I think wind direction, strength does play a major role but there appear to be other factors.

Anyone have any ideas, theories or perhaps you know of a definitive study? Any budding professors out there?

Thanks LB. Got some stuff from DEFRA but it's not really that informative. I'm looking for a scientific study, a paper, thesis, disertation or something similar that kinda defines the link between Woody and the various weather patterns, winds, barometric pressure etc at different times of the year. Might be asking too much or maybe PW should sponsor a degree student to spend 3 years looking at it :good:

This bloke here seems to have done an aweful lot of work with pigeon over the years, might be a good place to start (some of his PhD students have interest in this area too).

Mostly seems to be regards navigation, but in studying this, they must have had to consider the factors you mention.

Might help, might not

Its probable that some studies have been done, as to how various weather affects racing pigeons, but I have never heard of anything relating to wood pigeons.

I have read most of the pigeon shooting books and whilst they mention wind and weather, its not in any great depth.

Most of us know that pigeons don't like heavy rain, won't fly in the fog, spook easily on bright, still days and generally are almost unpredictable (had one of my best days shooting in light fog).