digital micrometer wanted

Ackley

I have an Aldi one and it is OK for most things, about as good as my Moore and Wright micrometers.

I'll take a look and see how many Aldi mics are in use on our shop floors........that'll be NONE.

You get what you pay for!!!

Do you definitely need digital Pete?

Edited by Browning

What is it with people?

Want a micrometer to last you a lifetime, comes with a calibration certificate and cost a lot, buy an expensive professional grade micrometer.

Want an adequate micrometer to get a job done that isn't going to cost you a fortune but does imperial and meter at the touch of a button costs under a tenner and, in my case, is still working fine 18 months later? go to Aldi.

I only have a degree in Production Engineering and Production Management and a C Eng, what do I know? Why to folks get so upset if people suggest something other than what they do?

What accuracy do you want, how long do you want it to last and what is your budget? Define your problem and you have probably defined your solution.

Sheesh.

I'll take a look and see how many Aldi mics are in use on our shop floors........that'll be NONE.

You get what you pay for!!!

Do you definitely need digital Pete?

I prefer digital as i struggle to read std mics correctly,its only for measuring the necks for my tight chamber I think the mic I have been using is faultly which may be casuing my primers problems

I only have a degree in Production Engineering and Production Management and a C Eng, what do I know? Why to folks get so upset if people suggest something other than what they do?

Yep, me too!

My comment was about the comparison of Moore & Wright to Aldi...there is no comparison. My Moore & Wrights 0-1, 1-2 and 2-3

are over 30 years old and still hold calibration even after being used in a production environment for the first 15 years.

Didn't mean to upset anyone....just stating a fact.

I guess if we are being entirely objective we need to come back to this in 15 years and see if the Aldi job is still going!

Some of their stuff is rubbish but some of it has earned it's keep and then some. For a home job to 2 decimal places the slide micrometer is fine, I use it again and again but would check something important with the M&W which live in a dry box on top of the boiler in the garage. I have quite a few rough and ready tools which are backed up with the Rolls Royce versions, this is one of them.

is it a micrometer or a vernier you want i have a spare vernier (mitytoyu)

micrometer mate,I need a accuaret one for measuring a loaded round as i have a tight neck chamber so need to turn the brass within 2 to 3 thou clearance

I guess if we are being entirely objective we need to come back to this in 15 years and see if the Aldi job is still going!

My point exactly, the first mic I bought is nearly 40yrs old, I still use it today, be lost with out it.

By the way harpoonlouis, I'm not having a pop at you.. :P

Ackley, would you use Lee Dies (ALDI).... for your long range shooting...?

Nothing wrong with them, they do the job, but they aren't as good as the bench rest kit....get my meaning.. :yes:

micrometer mate,I need a accurate one for measuring a loaded round as i have a tight neck chamber so need to turn the brass within 2 to 3 thou clearance

I use aldi verniers for rough working then switch to a better pair when needing to be sure. in all truth though, the Aldi ones that i have put on slip gauges, do seam accurate.

but,

aldi sell Verniers, i have never seen them sell Micrometers.

My grandad bought the mics I have at work today, Moore and wright still in the box as brand new, and these was bought in 1959-1965 even have original receipt and how much he payed a week, 50p. Setting bar in the biggest ones and the little c spanner There still bang on, and I use them all day everyday. If some one showed you how to read one properly they are very easy to read and be accurate with. there's a reason our grinding department only have standard ones and no digital. For most people Verniers are accurate enough for what you want, especially to 2-3thou clearance, mics are for half thous, and close tolerance work. Am sure it will be ok for non industrial work areas, but wouldn't recommend it for gas turbine or bearing precision .

so need to turn the brass within 2 to 3 thou clearance

Then you really don't need a top flight micrometer.

A decent vernier is all you need for that level of accuracy, a half decent £20 digital vernier will work to those tolerances for years to come.

Neil. :)

My point exactly, the first mic I bought is nearly 40yrs old, I still use it today, be lost with out it.

By the way harpoonlouis, I'm not having a pop at you.. :P

Ackley, would you use Lee Dies (ALDI).... for your long range shooting...?

Nothing wrong with them, they do the job, but they aren't as good as the bench rest kit....get my meaning.. :yes:

yes i see what you mean