New Polly Tipped Pellets

24joy

Ok. So the comics show the latest polymer pellet, look great, so take out a small bank loan to buy 200 of each, .177 .22. :lol: Now we include p+p and we have now got a bill of £23 for 400 pellets :good: . These better be good.

First the .22, load up mag for S410...... no their too long so mag will not rotate :lol: . So into the Daystate Harrier, good group at 35yrds, well good enough, but do preferred a multi shot when after the bunnies. Pellet looks the part :lol:

Right onto the .177, these fit in the mag so, bit happier. Must say have been using .177 more for hunting as of late, zero and check group at 35yrds, ok, off we go hunting. First shot, on target, but heard the pellet hit an old shed some 10yrds behind rabbit. Job done but straight threw head and still going, tidy small hole both sides. Go back to jsb .177 same distance shot same result really except exit hole bigger and no noise of shed being hit. I know this is not a accurate test and it is only my opinion, but for the same money I could of got a lot more pellets to do the same job, maybe it's a fac thing, but what would you shot in .177 with fac with these pellets. Anyone else had a go on these. Those at the Dover Deal club can try out this Sunday, or take a look see if you like.

Black pool air guns have them.

The .177 tips seemed out of alignment, I have not used them on a bunnie, but I did get a couple of magpies with them. I think premiers are better and a lot cheaper.

Test to date 35yrd rabbit head shot with a .177, clean hole right through, and the exit hole was a lot bigger.

Up the club today with a gusting wind, could hit the golf balls at 55yards about 3 in 5. Now, out of all the pointed pellets I've tried, and hollowed, these are imho one of the the better ones at 12ftlb.

But due to the cost of them I can't see me getting any more. I'll stick with the JSB's domes.

In short not a gimmic but far too over the top in cost to be taken seriously.

If you mean the Predator Polymag pellets, Ive used them in .22 and they seem to be ok. As long as you have a good pointed tip on them (not a bent one) they do the job. Only trouble is I cant use them in my magazine as they become distorted, but its ok because you only need one pellet at a time anyway. I fired one at a woodpigeon and it went straight through its head and made a mess. Still, Job done. In terms of grouping, they don't group as well as say accupels or powapels, but they are at an acceptable level of accuracy for quarry shooting in my rifle.

-Andrew

i refuse to believe that a balistic tip on a air pellet at sub FAC speeds can actually aid expansion.

If it did they would put them on .22lr's

When a centrefire (or HMR) expands with b-tips they aid the expansion and the act of doing this allows them to not only mushroom but to break up.

With an airgun you dont have enough energy (or RPM) for them to have this effect, all it can do is help it mushroom, and to be frank air pellets do this ok on their own.

I would imagine the tips dont survive very well and dont aid accuracy when knocked, they cost a bomb, which is not what airguns are about.

If they offer enough expansion to cleanly take a chest shot on a bunny at 35yards then there might be a purpose. But how many rabbits have you shot clean through the head which have walked off because a .177 sized hole wasnt big enough?

if they work great....... get them in the .22lr

Could someone do some expansion testing to proove if they are any use?

Interesting thread, i'm with Nick, it seems a little pointless as airgun pellets dont cary the energy to make use of a ballistic tip. After seeing the and reading the topic posted by dr_nick the pellet doesnt seem to have deformed much at all, which makes the ballistic tip redundant. :good:

Couple that with the excesive price and the fact its too big to cycle in most magazines, the new pellet is surplus to requirements. :good:

Interesting thread, i'm with Nick, it seems a little pointless as airgun pellets dont cary the energy to make use of a ballistic tip. After seeing the and reading the topic posted by dr_nick the pellet doesnt seem to have deformed much at all, which makes the ballistic tip redundant. :lol:

Couple that with the excesive price and the fact its too big to cycle in most magazines, the new pellet is surplus to requirements. :good:

Totally agree :good: , gimmicks :no::no: , wish they would invest in some real R&D into better lead/mix pellets :good:

'flat heads' i found to be fine in .22 out to 35yards..... after which point they hold little energy or velocity.

For rats you wont find a better pellet style than a target 'flat head' (hobby 500 were my fav.)

i wouldnt use anything other than 'flat heads' now, my shooting and rifles arnt able to be accurate past 35-40 yards, so the flat head delievers more energy faster.... so i will go for that over a slightly flatter shooting round nosed.

Anything over 35yrds and i should have taken the .22lr