Still on the rape

mrpip

Had a good look round the rape on good Friday afternoon, most of its well in flower but there’s bits were its been wet or grazed back that’s still shootable usually take note of these & keep an eye on them until they catch up, found a few feeding on one field I haven’t shot this year, at 3 o’clock & they were still around at 6 ish on my way back, so decided to go back Saturday about 2, its not had a lot of pigeon damage but it holds water in one corner & before they built up the farmer stuck a gas gun on (been moved now). Been having a look every time I pass on the way to & from another farm & have never seen many on, saw a car parked up & someone set up in the corner under a tree about 6 week ago, this was were they were feeding now. Found 6 empty cartridges & a nice ledge cut out of the ditch side, thought might as well set up in the same spot as they had also trimmed the hawthorn behind me. Set up at 2 o’clock with the rotor & 5 full bodied deeks, had 2 pigeon in straight away but they came in at an awkward angle making it difficult to get a bead on them. Moved the rotor another 10 paces out to my left, & bingo the next one in straight in the bag, the shot lifted a good 50 birds from an embankment on the dual carriageway about 200 yds behind me they came over high & disappeared over the hillside, had a steady trickle of birds come back all afternoon some suicidal some wary of the rotor, swapped the deeks for 10 dead pigeon on cradles, set them in the rape leaving the wheeling’s clear. Shot one that dropped in the high rape when it went down it didn’t look stone dead, so sent the dog straight out, she went into the rape & I heard a squeal she came back with a mixie rabbit, first I’ve seen this year. She found the pigeon a good 20 yds from were it had gone down, another one that wouldn’t have made it into the bag without her. Shot last one at half six, ended up with 25 picked up. post-13005-0-07267900-1334118453.jpg