Anti Roll Bar bushes replacement

ferguson_tom

After looking under my Terrano it seems like quite a simple job to do. Before i buy the kit and attempt it myself is there anything i should know or special tools i would need to do the job at home. I have a pretty comprehensive tool kit and know my way around a spanner but its one of those jobs i have never had to do before now.

They are easy to do, you're best off getting the heavy duty type frequently advertised on eBay ... also if you are replacing the anti-roll bar bushes you're best replacing the anti roll bar link bushes as well. When they wear out they can actually fall out and the steel rod rubs against the lower suspension arm ... dont read to much into this post, its a very easy job to do, no special tools required.

A tip if you ever take an anti-roll bar off completely, and you have problems getting it back in place, get an old seat belt strap and wrap it round both end of the bar, then get a hammer and entangle the strap with the hammer shaft and twist, this pulls the anti-roll bar together ... parts for the Terrano are cheap, and whilst your under the thing, grease the 4 steering link stop, they look like bolt heads covered in a nylon cup.

And you might as well do an oil and filter change, best doing as much as possible if your going to get your hands dirty ... all the above should take about 2 hours taking your time .. :good:

Did the links on mine Thursday. I took the bottom nuts off but no chance of getting the top ones undone. I had to cut them off with the grinder. Only took ten minutes each side though. When you fit the new ones, you need to clamp the top collar with mole grips while you tighten the top nut, otherwise the whole joint just turns instead of tightening up. :good: