Harvest stubble

Whitebridges

The barley harvest is in full swing here. I was talking to the son of a grain merchant the other day and he was saying some grants are available to leave the stubble unploughed longer. We didn't discuss the details but the purpose was to help wildlife. Anyone know whether this is right and what the terms are? Great news for shooting I should think. As few years back one big farmer in our area ploughed the lot back in less than 48 hours.

The wheat is dying here, no rain. Apparently yields will be poor and if it hammers it down tomorrow it will be too late anyway. The French rape yield forecast is down 40%, and ours is looking good, so british prices should be high. Any local news and views in your area(s) chaps?

one of the farms I go On the farmer ploughs straight behind you often see the chap sitting on headland waiting for the combine to do a couple of rounds before he starts. Its the same with setaside it can bo cut now,but started to cut my dads on sat morning and the amount of birds still nesting cause of the late warm weather i pulled out and we are going to leave it for couple of weeks.

The way the fields get hoovered around here by the latest, biggest, harvest monsters there's precious little left for Woody. Best farms are the organic type where the machinery's a bit 'organic' too :oops: Barley's well underway, rape'll be next if the wind lets up enough for the spraying. I personally don't bother going on standing crops as you lose too many birds even with a good dog and it don't please farmer none if you're trampling his crop. With the short stemmed varieties of barley and wheat there's precious little storm damage stuff around.