Newbie, Shotgun license application

Hi all, new to the forum been shooting since i was a young age, only just getting back into it now and decided to apply for my shotgun license. The only place sutible in my house for the safe is the loft on the gable wall but this is breeze block just wondering if it would be a issue when the officer comes to inspect . Does anyone have theres secured to a breeze block wall?

If unsure ask your issuing force. You could also drill holes out in the cabinet and fit larger fixing bolts,studs,rawlbolts. You could also bolt the bottom of the cabinet to the joists using large wood bolts. loft tempratures are up and down and damp could be an issue on external walls,out of site out of mind and the harder it is to find the harder it would be to steal imo.

In my last house I had my cabinet up in the loft, bolted to an old (redundant) brick chimney. No problems with Northants police.

There are two (well probably more, but two I found) bad points about keeping guns in the loft; the first being large temperature fluctuations (as mentioned) which can cause condensation on the guns and the second for me, because I like to whinge a lot, was the inconvenience of having to climb up there to retrieve/put them back.

Also, I always had 2-3 sachets of Napier VP90 moisture inhibiter in the cabinet.

I wish I'd made a video of me getting the 7 gun cabinet up there, by myself, too. Pure comedy.

As others have said, speak to your FAC and see if theres anywhere else you can put it. Some forces frown on the loft as a place to store guns as they figure you wont bother with all the hassle of getting up there to replace guns each time you use them and end up leaving them under your bed.

Breeze block walls are fine, depending upon what type they are. Mines bolted to such a wall with 6 heavy rawl plugs, and to make extra sure i bolted it down to the floorboards too using big coach bolts. But, some aireated breeze blocks are like sponge and next to useless for holding anything.

There are two (well probably more, but two I found) bad points about keeping guns in the loft; the first being large temperature fluctuations (as mentioned) which can cause condensation on the guns and the second for me, because I like to whinge a lot, was the inconvenience of having to climb up there to retrieve/put them back.

Thats why FEO dont like them and some have silly H&S rules about ladders

As others have said, speak to your FAC and see if theres anywhere else you can put it. Some forces frown on the loft as a place to store guns as they figure you wont bother with all the hassle of getting up there to replace guns each time you use them and end up leaving them under your bed.

Yep or in a wardrobe.......or other unsecure place i have seen cabinets in all manner of places, next to the front door (household used the back door and cabinet was next to fron door in brick built porch), in a swimming pool (I kid you not), in a kitchen.

Breeze block walls are fine, depending upon what type they are. Mines bolted to such a wall with 6 heavy rawl plugs, and to make extra sure i bolted it down to the floorboards too using big coach bolts. But, some aireated breeze blocks are like sponge and next to useless for holding anything.

The air blocks are ok as long as you use the correct fixing method, resin is the best in these.

Edited by HDAV

Hi all, new to the forum been shooting since i was a young age, only just getting back into it now and decided to apply for my shotgun license. The only place sutible in my house for the safe is the loft on the gable wall but this is breeze block just wondering if it would be a issue when the officer comes to inspect . Does anyone have theres secured to a breeze block wall?

That's where mine is. In the loft against a breeze block wall. No problem with Lancs police. Only real problem is having to go up the loft ladder every time you want the gun out. Not a good move at 5am if trying to go shooting early!

Edited by pg123

Cheers for the comments guys all been realy helpful, spoke to my FAC and he said that the loft is fine, he said to get the cabinet and send the paperwork off but not to install the cabinet till he has come to interview me so we can discuss the best place for it