Guildford massive in the house?

CZ550Kevlar

i`ve left my previous company after 5 weeks and now looks like i`ve jumped into a new job as a consultant working in Surrey, i`ll be under an umbrella company for pay and weighing up the options of either commuting the 100 miles each way to surrey or staying the 4 nights and coming home Friday.

checked out the usual chain hotels in Guildford where i`ll be based is coming up at like £50 a night, does anyone know of any decent cheaper places? was hoping for £30 a night as this is what i usually pay up north. the site office is Guildford but i`ll be all around Surrey area if i am successful, would it be cheaper if i go elsewhere in surrey?

easyhotel coming up at £32 a night, no idea what they are like, think i should ask for more than £24 an hour due to cost of living, what`s so special about Guildford being so expensive? i bet it`s the legoland effect.

EDIT:- easyhotel is out, reaad the reviews and think i`ll prefer to pay more.

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

What about a B&B? Always used them when away with work, usually a lot less than hotels and you get less disturbance from other. If I ever used a premier inn I would usually end up sharing a corridor with a heavy drinking team of shop fitters or site workers.

Well they've got to pay for all that private school education somehow :lol:

We're about 5 miles outside Guildford. There's a B&B in the next village which doesn't show on the web. I'll see if I can find out the cost but I'll be really surprised if you could beat the Premier Inn for price.

The B&B pub in our village is >£55.

Welcome to Surrey - pints are expensive but Sainsburys has some good deals!

Where are you travelling from and where is the office as traffic in Guildford can be really bad at rush hour.

easyhotel coming up at £32 a night, no idea what they are like, think i should ask for more than £24 an hour due to cost of living, what`s so special about Guildford being so expensive? i bet it`s the legoland effect.

EDIT:- easyhotel is out, reaad the reviews and think i`ll prefer to pay more.

One word - 'Stockbrokers'

Well they've got to pay for all that private school education somehow :lol:

We're about 5 miles outside Guildford. There's a B&B in the next village which doesn't show on the web. I'll see if I can find out the cost but I'll be really surprised if you could beat the Premier Inn for price.

The B&B pub in our village is >£55.

Welcome to Surrey - pints are expensive but Sainsburys has some good deals!

Where are you travelling from and where is the office as traffic in Guildford can be really bad at rush hour.

Site office is GU4 7BQ north east of Guildford centre just off the A3 so the right side of Guildford, i`ll be travelling from Just outside Dover, Kent. 92 miles each way 1hr 45 mins on a straight clear run which is an easy drive but bear in mind i`ll have to travel along the M26 & M25 both ways which could add ages onto my drive, it`s the M25 & M26 which is making my decision harder.

If accommodation is going to cost as much as i think i might be better off hiring a higher class car that`s bigger and more comfortable to drive and just drive back and forth each day.

Site office is GU4 7BQ north east of Guildford centre just off the A3 so the right side of Guildford, i`ll be travelling from Just outside Dover, Kent. 92 miles each way 1hr 45 mins on a straight clear run which is an easy drive but bear in mind i`ll have to travel along the M26 & M25 both ways which could add ages onto my drive, it`s the M25 & M26 which is making my decision harder.

If accommodation is going to cost as much as i think i might be better off hiring a higher class car that`s bigger and more comfortable to drive and just drive back and forth each day.

That journey in rush hour twice/day wil kill you. Are trains not an option?

I have stayed in B&B around there try lodgings world but the £30 a night jobs are rough as! If you know the term would a room in a house/flat Share work out better? £200 a week? I am 3 miles from guildford right now there are quite a few army towns so might find a room from someone in the forces who is based ooop north and does the opposite trip?

Edited by HDAV

Nearest Army town is Aldershot.

This gives you an example but I HAVE NO IDEA what it's like but I doubt I would stay there!

http://www.lionbrewery.co.uk/b&b.htm

Aldershot is 30 minutes away without traffic.

Guildford to Dover 2 hrs + twice a day. :no:

Still checking a couple of local B&B's - will let you know later. How long would you be around (weeks) as they might do a deal.

Well I tried but I've drawn a blank. The B&B that was, is no more. The pub in our village is >£75 and the pub in the next one £85-115 (gulp!)

Premier Inn still looks like best rate and reliability - you could even get to share a bed with Lenny!

it`s confirmed i got the job, unemployed for 2 days! the contract is 6 months initial but the work is ongoing after that, it will either continue contractor or they might take me perm.

Train isn`t an option as i`m site based as a highways bridge inspector so will be traveling all over Surrey.

Nearest Army town is Aldershot.

This gives you an example but I HAVE NO IDEA what it's like but I doubt I would stay there!

http://www.lionbrewery.co.uk/b&b.htm

Aldershot is 30 minutes away without traffic.

Guildford to Dover 2 hrs + twice a day. :no:

Still checking a couple of local B&B's - will let you know later. How long would you be around (weeks) as they might do a deal.

Always thought it looked a dump when ive driven past :yes: now i know its a dump :yes: and its in the middle of nowhere :o BB

******* state of them rooms :lol: :lol:

Edited by Bluebarrels

Always thought it looked a dump when ive driven past :yes: now i know its a dump :yes: and its in the middle of nowhere :o BB

******* state of them rooms :lol: :lol:

Might get some good pigeon shooting in on wednesday tho!

This place is £40 and may the type that will do a good deal on longterm?

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/colebrook-guest-house.en-gb.html?aid=334487;label=mainsearchbox;sid=a930fc3669a3533f0e1d1ac6c7a86f62;dcid=1;checkin=2012-05-05;checkout=2012-05-06;srfid=444fe63e9f0e81cc9812e069444e0a84X18

Looks much better!

Edited by HDAV

:good: :good: Lots of work going on in Aldershot at the minute New build Morrisons/picture house,so i guess most places are full of work/tradesmen etc :good: BB

Depending on how soon you start I would say book something for the first week reasonable, if your a "consultant" i.e. umbrella ltd company so not an employee the cost of hotels should come out of gross profit as should mileage etc as your home based and travelling to site (check it all with umbrella company recommended rates and write offs etc if you have an ask around you'll probably find somewhere better and cheaper long term unless you driv elike a granny the 1000 mile a week commute will cost nigh on £200 but you can claim 45p a mile possibly so £450 a week! for 10 weeks, silly thigns then get in the way i used to do 800 miles a week for a year brimming the tank every 2 days in the hope i could get on a friday without stopping was the aim of the game! but tyres servicing etc all added up!

Depending on how soon you start I would say book something for the first week reasonable, if your a "consultant" i.e. umbrella ltd company so not an employee the cost of hotels should come out of gross profit as should mileage etc as your home based and travelling to site (check it all with umbrella company recommended rates and write offs etc if you have an ask around you'll probably find somewhere better and cheaper long term unless you driv elike a granny the 1000 mile a week commute will cost nigh on £200 but you can claim 45p a mile possibly so £450 a week! for 10 weeks, silly thigns then get in the way i used to do 800 miles a week for a year brimming the tank every 2 days in the hope i could get on a friday without stopping was the aim of the game! but tyres servicing etc all added up!

I start on the 14th so i have 4 days to organsise things, i`ll be under an umbrella company which i also need to sort but that will only take a day (they gave me a list of 6) i`ve never been under an umbrella company so any advice there would be good.

i`ll have to hire a car from Avis or somewhere to start with for a month or 2 which they have quoted £430 / month for a 1.6 kia ceed thingy which does about 55 mpg cruising at 70mph which i know from previous experience plus it`s roomy enough and comfortable to drive so if i go there and back each day it`ll be £150 ish for diesel per week.

i`ll have to ask about the fuel rebate thing and hotels as reading somewhere it mentioned out of pocket expenses etc but i`ll just talk to them about it and stand more chance understanding it all.

I start on the 14th so i have 4 days to organsise things, i`ll be under an umbrella company which i also need to sort but that will only take a day (they gave me a list of 6) i`ve never been under an umbrella company so any advice there would be good.

i`ll have to hire a car from Avis or somewhere to start with for a month or 2 which they have quoted £430 / month for a 1.6 kia ceed thingy which does about 55 mpg cruising at 70mph which i know from previous experience plus it`s roomy enough and comfortable to drive so if i go there and back each day it`ll be £150 ish for diesel per week.

i`ll have to ask about the fuel rebate thing and hotels as reading somewhere it mentioned out of pocket expenses etc but i`ll just talk to them about it and stand more chance understanding it all.

I have a mate who contracts under an umbrella basically you are a ltd company with no staff just you as director. Your paid differently and umbrella company take a fee for doing all the admin you submit a time sheet (normally they invoice the company and then pay you minus there fee) you will have a tax return to do and some other faff but you may be able to claim expenses from the company your contracting to for some stuff and then some from your own company from the gross amount i.e. before tax you may also want to look a a small insurance policy.

Downside is no holiday pay, sick pay, redundancy pay etc you work you earn, you don't you don't. I'll try and find out who my mate uses, i looked at it a while ago (6 years in depth but went self employed as sole trader) IR35 is the main issue if you only work for one company then HMRC can state you as an employee and go after class 2 NI and other stuff.

Watch the mileage on hire cars and also the useage for insurance as you'll be doing business mileage.

He'll have to set up the company first. Unless it's changed he'll need a company secretary (which can be his accountant), will need to file company returns and so on. So there is some work to do.

He could pay himself a minimum salary from the company and then pay dividends which will save some NI.

Will need to keep Directors meeting minutes, accounts etc. and will need the accountant to sort out what he can and can't put against costs to reduce company profit i.e. business tax.

He could put a car on the company but needs to watch for benefit in kind. But with high miles this shouldn't be a problem. All servicing etc. could then go through company. Change after 3 years and sell it to yourself at knock down price - then it's up to you what you do with it and who you sell it to. If you don't do many miles this doesn't work - I've looked at this from every way an the BIK outweighs the savings.

Might be able to go Flat Rate VAT registered which will also benefit a bit, assuming VAT registered, but will need to add VAT to bills.

None of this is difficult - just needs a bit of planning and organising. Mind you, I would like a penny for every time I've heard, "you're all right, you can put it on the company!". Er no! In his case he's earning the money so it's still him who pays. The only benefit is some things come about 20% cheaper.

Good luck.