Deer stalking/foxing gun

be careful with the manlicker I know someone at the moment with one with a synthetic stock who is being told its not designed for using a bipod, thats come to light when eventually it was found to be the reason for a 4" change in POI when used with one. Its been re stocked, gone to riflecraft etc and now thats the response from sportsman, basically the continentals don't use bipods so its only an issue in the UK apparently.

be careful with the manlicker I know someone at the moment with one with a synthetic stock who is being told its not designed for using a bipod, thats come to light when eventually it was found to be the reason for a 4" change in POI when used with one. Its been re stocked, gone to riflecraft etc and now thats the response from sportsman, basically the continentals don't use bipods so its only an issue in the UK apparently.

This is correct and also they can't really be rebarreled either well not very easily or cheaply

Actually the start load for a 100grn .243" is getting on for 40 grns using N160. You are risking the wrong type of chamber detonation using an overly light load which could turn out very baddly for you /bystanders and the gun one day. I doubt the velocity calcs are correct and Al4x is correct it most likely aint legal.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/50

34-40gr N160

even assuming the data drop that VV do from year to year I doubt they quoted starting loads at 40gr ever

2864fps at 39.8gr N160 under 100gr Speer

VV know better than I do, and as I said. I really dont get too excited about MV figures it is WELL within ME range for Scotland and WELL within safe loading range for charge (according to the powder manufacturers most recent data)

Anyway...moving on

this can happen on any rifle.

I have a lightweight BSA majestic that cost me 50-60 rounds before I figured the problem!

not many though that the manufacturer and shop that sells it just says its normal and they can't do anything about it. Buying a £500 stock to fit to a £700 gun to make it shoot is pretty poor, this one is going down the not fit for purpose and small claims route as its not possible to use it for foxing which with a 22-250 is pretty pointless

Its a problem with continental shoot styles in mainland europe most shooting is done freehand or at most off a stick so the guns are light and can be flexible. We in the uk have mostly gone down the bypod route and this creates the problem. All guns shoot its a case off how well they shoot in given situations and when all said and done is getting it to shoot properly not part of the fun.

http://www.lapua.com...a/relodata/5/50

34-40gr N160

even assuming the data drop that VV do from year to year I doubt they quoted starting loads at 40gr ever

2864fps at 39.8gr N160 under 100gr Speer

VV know better than I do, and as I said. I really dont get too excited about MV figures it is WELL within ME range for Scotland and WELL within safe loading range for charge (according to the powder manufacturers most recent data)

Anyway...moving on

this can happen on any rifle.

I have a lightweight BSA majestic that cost me 50-60 rounds before I figured the problem!

vihtavuori 2/2002 guide start load hornady spbt 100grn n160 is 40.9 max 45.4 grn The max is going to be on the hot side. Guides have got soft in recent times

Its a problem with continental shoot styles in mainland europe most shooting is done freehand or at most off a stick so the guns are light and can be flexible. We in the uk have mostly gone down the bypod route and this creates the problem. All guns shoot its a case off how well they shoot in given situations and when all said and done is getting it to shoot properly not part of the fun.

The unfit for purpose in this case lies with the retailer- who said gun sellers dont have to know what the heck they are talking of. Its like a car salesman selling a Nissan note knowing the client is gonna try pulling his caravan with it. The gun isn't at fault just the seller. The buyers lack of knoledge has nothing to do with this issue.

I totally agree with the above, thing is we shoot that way also in woodland stalking its just that most newbies think its all heavy guns and 300yrds off bipods due to the comics etc. i would like to see changes in the DSC1 lowland shooting test to give some longer shots off sticks and some total off hand shots at shorter range, problem is pass rates will dive- but realistic practice will become more common. We have all seen it at the sunday morning club shoots 95% off bipod 100yds prone yet spend more time lamping foxes and stalking taking way different shots, leading to inevitable errors