field spaniels??

fergie

Ok in the not to distant future we have decided that I can have a gun dog I like Springers but she prefers a sold colored dog. until today I had forgotten all about the field Spaniel. are there any breeders of working field spaniels in east Yorkshire or near by if not do you know of any breeders of.

I'll echo the comments on field spaniels.

There ae some nice chocolate (solid) working cockers around in Yorkshire at the moment - have a search on Preloved. I'm still trying to convince the wife I can have one but doesn't stop me looking :blush:

I saw a bloke with a sussex spaniel about 4 months old, last year. I liked the look of it and did a little research, field spaniels and sussex are quite closely related.

The thing that put me off is that they give tongue when on the scent of game :hmm:

I thought about it and very quickly realised there's no way I would be happy having a dog that barked its knackers off at every pheasant, not to mention the high probability of being asked to 'leave the dog at home next time'.

Subsequently I decided against one.

I saw a bloke with a sussex spaniel about 4 months old, last year. I liked the look of it and did a little research, field spaniels and sussex are quite closely related.

The thing that put me off is that they give tongue when on the scent of game :hmm:

I thought about it and very quickly realised there's no way I would be happy having a dog that barked its knackers off at every pheasant, not to mention the high probability of being asked to 'leave the dog at home next time'.

Subsequently I decided against one.

Er, no - they don't. Sussex are *allowed* to give tongue according to the breed standard, but I've not seen (nor heard) the first that does.

Sussex and fieldies aren't necessarily "closely related" either - fieldies were the first spaniel bred purely for the show ring. Clumber and Sussex blood has intermingled over time, especially with the (working) clumber helping rejuvenate the Sussex.

This thread comes up about once a year - and the answer is always that a proper field spaniel working gundog is all but unobtainable (i.e., rarer than hen's teeth). A working Sussex on the other hand...

ron12-30-10592b.jpg

MG

Er, no - they don't. Sussex are *allowed* to give tongue according to the breed standard, but I've not seen (nor heard) the first that does.

Sussex and fieldies aren't necessarily "closely related" either - fieldies were the first spaniel bred purely for the show ring. Clumber and Sussex blood has intermingled over time, especially with the (working) clumber helping rejuvenate the Sussex.

This thread comes up about once a year - and the answer is always that a proper field spaniel working gundog is all but unobtainable (i.e., rarer than hen's teeth). A working Sussex on the other hand...

ron12-30-10592b.jpg

MG

I'm happy to stand corrected :blush:

Are you saying that the Sussex does not give tongue, when working?

Also do you have experience of working Sussex? I'm interested to learn more as I did quite like the look of them and as a rare breed might be willing to consider one.

A woman round our way in Norfolk had 2 sussexs and as far as I can remember they worked well and didnt make a noise whilst hunting.

I believe one of the best out there with Sussexs is Bill Cadwell looking at the minor breed trial results.

try www.sussexspaniels.org.uk for further info

If you put in a google search for working sussex spaniels it will come up with his contact details.

Like everything with minor breed / show breeds ensure pups are worker to worker etc.

archi

Are you saying that the Sussex does not give tongue, when working?

Also do you have experience of working Sussex?

Yes, no tongue; yes, experience with Sussex in spades (as above [and below] being my 10-year-old bitch).

100_2118.jpg

ron12-30-10604b.jpg

100_2114.jpg

Archi's sussed it: Bill Cadwell's the man to see about a dog - at least this breed of dog. Jubilwell kennel affix if you're seeking him out.

MG

Edited by cracker