Mixed bag with newbie

Cosd

With the weather as it is and being without a car for a few weeks, I was chomping at the bit to get out on Saturday. My usual permission is high with rape and un-shootable, so decided to take a blind drive up to Cambridge to see what is going on up there. I was also eager to take my Discovery off road for the first time.

I called a newbie who had been out with me twice before and he was keen to go.

Set off with no great expectations and arrived to find wheat/barley which was about 20" high and nothing on it. Drove round the farm in the Landy and felt like I was floating on water!

Watched the fields for half hour or so and set up in the best of a bad lot, again not really expecting very much at all. The crop was way too long for any pattern, so set up the flapper with a dead bird from the freezer in a tram line on it's highest setting which was just about visible from the hide, put out 5 FUD's in the tram lines and the magnet with another couple of dead birds.

10 minutes past after settling in and a couple of woodies decoyed lovely with the intention of landing in a tram line; Offered the shots to the newbie (Ozzie) who unfortunately missed both. Reassured him and prepared him for the next shot. I took the next bird for my first shot and dropped it luckily falling onto the grass verge; Anything falling in the crop would have been difficult to find without causing the crop damage ourselves. Shooting was sporadic, and after missing a fair few shots Ozzie managed to bring one down which lit up his face no end.

The day was quiet and after a few patient hours we managed to shoot 9 woodies and a black. Ozzie managed just the one, but I think that was still enough for him to go home pleased with himself.

I took him for a walk in the afternoon to see if we could flush any birds out of sitty trees on the other side of the farm and maybe a rabbit. As we walked I spotted a rabbit happily munching away, I pointed it out to Ozzie and he took aim and dropped it stone dead. He was over the moon as was I for him.

I set him up in an ambush position and moved on another 50 yards myself, explaining where the rabbit holes were and we sat it out for about an hour and a half. We managed another 11 rabbits between us, Ozzie shooting another 3 making 4 in total for him and the rest mine.

The funniest seen of the day was a rabbit about 20 yards to my right just popped its head up over the ditch, I was taking aim waiting for it to come all the way out as I didn't want to clip it. It was being weary and checking out for safety before it would come out, when 10 yards further out a fox also popped it's head out over the ditch :rolleyes: My phone had run out of batteries by this time and was gutted I couldn't take the picture. The rabbit came out a little more but I didn't take the shot hoping charlie would come further down the ditch giving me a close shot with the shottie but that didn't happen.

Over all a nice mixed bag of 9 woodies, 1 black and 12 rabbits, the highlight being the fox and rabbit peering over the ditch 10 yards apart and totally unaware of each other or me, and the most satisfying seeing Ozzie's face at the end of the day having shot a woodie and 4 rabbits!

As said, phone ran out of batteries to take a picture of the bag, but I did manage to take one of Ozzie after his first rabbit which I will post in a short while from the phone.....