Weaker eye

im the same, had a test done by basc at a show, i tried an eye patch over my left eye to eliminate me pulling my left side of my face over to look down the rib, worked straight away too. All i do now when pigeon shooting is everthing as normal but close my left eye just before i shoot. Works for me..

Im left eye dominant but a right handed shooter. What ive always done is to close or squint my left eye when im shooting. Technically thats wrong, as you are supposed to have both eyes open to help you "get on target" quicker. But, personally ive not had any problems. With targets coming from the left, I am spmetimes very very slightly slower on them, but I tend to pick them up with both eyes open and then just close the left as I take the shot.

Alternatively, some people use glasses with a bit of tape on the LH lens, or even retrain to shoot left handed.

Eye strength is not the same as eye dominance, bear that in mind....

Mine is, my strongest eye is dominant, having them not the same eye would be really weird ( to me at least) if you are left eye dominant I strongly suggest shooting left handed there is a technique don't just go shooting left handed!

I lost full use of my right eye back in the 70's due to injury. Back then I shot right handed, both eyes open.Because of other circumstances I packed up shooting then.

When I got back into shotguns, nearly ten years ago, I taught myself to shoot left-handed with my right eye closed. This became a perfectly natural way to shoot.

Recently I started to miss alot of shots. I rechecked the dominance and found that my right eye had recovered its dominance.

I decided to try going back to right handed but closing my left eye. It felt unnatural at first but I got there, sort of. Using only one eye limits binocular vision which is essential for judging distance accurately so, to improve accuracy, I decided to try both eyes open.

I went Pigeon shooting on Monday and got ten birds but I missed thirty. :blink:

Really frustrated so back at home I practiced my gun mounting. I realised that my head was to far forward along the stock which was raising the muzzle and causing me to shoot high.

I put a 1" packer on the stock and went out again yesterday. I only got five shots but I got 4 out 5 kills with one shot being a really fast 50yd left to right. :yes:

This was right hand both eyes open.

Now, when I mount the gun, I know I should be looking at the bird and not really noticing the barrels. When I did practice mount the gun with both eyes open I found I was looking down the left hand side of the barrel. However, when I closed my left eye I found that my right eye was indeed looking straight down the rib and the bead was spot on what I was pointing at.

I decided to have faith that I should ignore what I was seeing as far as the rest of the gun was concerned and trust that if I concentrated on putting the bead in the right place and look at the bird then I would be pointing in exactly the right place.

When I mount the gun if I follow the line of the barrels then it looks like I'm pointing too far left but when I close my left eye I can see it is spot on.

So, my advice is, practice mount your gun and find out where it is actually pointing. Always remember to bring your gun up to your head. Don't lower your head onto your gun. Try pointing the gun at an object with both eyes open then close your eyes in turn and see

if it stays on the object or, apparently, moves to one side. Try it both right and left handed.

I had already done all this but I was still missing. It was only when I increased the length of the stock by an inch that it really put my head in the right position and I startd hitting the birds consistently.

My main point is that, as well as ascertaining eye dominance, it is important to check that gun fit, practice, technique and stance are all as important when it comes to consistency. :good:

P.S. Some shooters use what is called a crossover stock. That is a stock with a bend in it so that, with the gun mounted on the right shoulder, the barrels are brought up into line with the left eye. I know a couple of people who have used them for years. I know they had them custom made so I don't know if anyone supplies them off the shelf.

Edited by KFC