Mandel Chokes

Paul T

Thanks to a coaching session I've managed a huge leap forward in my clay shooting - to the point where I think a change of chokes might actually be of some benefit.

My Rotty O/U is choked cyl & 1/4 and I feel some of the edge-on long crossers are chippy kills, so I thinking of tightening up a little to 1/4 and 1/2.

The thing is that I've only found this place that does Rotty chokes, Mandel , and know nothing about them. Can anybody vouch for them?

Also, what about ported chokes? Novelty or real benefit? If they really reduce muzzle flip then I'd want that as the choke in the bottom (first) barrel, which means replacing my original 1/4 and therefore buying 2 chokes. Or should I get something different?

Advice needed please guys - many thanks.

Hi Paul T, I too was thinking of getting some extra chokes and a friend of mine had brought some from Mandel, i had a look at them and they looked good.

I e-mailed Mandel and also spoke to a really nice chap on the phone (i can't think of his name) but he did say that the ported extended chokes are a pig too clean after use which he needn't have done.

Also i did get someone from the forum who said they did have a bad experience with Mandel but i did order some, 6 chokes in a nice case for £115 delivered, alot cheaper than Teague / Brierly but its a catch 22 situation really its what you can afford.

If i had the money yes i would probably go for Teague, like i used to shoot Lanbers etc now i shoot a Browning, but i have got to say i am very happy with my Mandel chokes and yes they are a pig to clean (get very black/dirty through the port holes, but it dosn't bother me as i rarely go clay shooting.

The service i got from Mandel was honest information and excellent delivery, ordered thursday afternoon,delivered saturday morning.

I would definately use Mandel again, but you will will get plenty of good advice from the forum + try the wanted section, jusk make sure they will fit your gun as i didn't know i had to get invector not invector + for mine.

If i was a clay shooter i would probably go for the non ported extended chokes.

Sorry for going on a bit (bad habit of mine)and iv'e looked to see if i still had Mandels phone number but haven't so take your time in what you choose and good luck Smokey

Nothing wrong with Mandel chokes...i bought 2 sets of unported a couple of years ago and had no problems with them.

The only thing i found that they are probably over engineered compared to brand names i.e they are a little bit thicker and longer on the external section hence heavier,

which is not a bad thing as it smoothes your gun swing.

Why pay more , usually double at least , for a branded choke with a bit of laser etching and probably pretty colours on the end.

Ported chokes are for the gullible or pretentious...the theory is porting should be on the top surface of the barrel to push the barrel down and reduce muzzle flip..

as they around the circumference and equidistant to each other on ported chokes , each port cancels the other out maintaining the status quo of an unported barrel .

I own 2 x Classic Doubles 101 shotguns, both 30" barrels , one trap and one sporter , both the same weight of 8lbs...the trap gun is ported , when both fired i can tell no difference , nor can others who have tried them.

To change subject , all the multichoke Rottweil shotguns i have seen are made by Fias so fias chokes interchange as does Browning medallist chokes , also made by Fias.

Guest cookoff013

i bought a cheap second hand set of external cylinders from this very forum. honestly i dont overly rate them. they are thinner than what i`m used to. they do the job though.

however, i bought them and used them exclusively for a year. i even managed to put in one of my highest scores once. i even shot 50yard clays with 21g loads. my experiences with them have been positive. these were a stop gap between my progression to brielys, which are my favourite chokes.

i like my briely f/f set for sporting, i still use the mandel cyl / cyl set for skeet.

I asked the same question a while ago and was put off getting them. Instead waiting for genuine manufactures chokes or other high quality chokes to come up on here, to which just got some beretta optima's of officerdibble which are as new.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Thanks for the feedback Gents.

I've had a pm too which is weighting things all in favour of either Teague or Briley.

As I thought, the porting seems a bit of a gimmick, so I'll stick with a bog standard flush 1/2.

Since the difference between Teague and Mandel is only a couple of quid, that's made my mind up and I'll give Teague a ring in the morning.

Thanks all :good: