I need some help catching magpies

Hey guys. I'm really at a loss with these magpies in the garden. I've been shooting the **** out of them for a couple of months now but they're coming in early now - I can't be on the case 24/7 so need to build or buy a trap to put out. They've raided another nest before I could get the gun out of the safe this morning and I'm fuming. They've got to go!

I've got a ladder trap plan but the trap is too big. How far can I scale it down before it doesn't work? Either that or a multi bird Larsen - are they easy to make or should I buy one? How do I bait it without a call bird?

Get and buy a Larsen mate, in my opinion and being a little useless at DIY that's the best option. Depending on where u are there are people all over the country that make them. Ladder traps won't work too well for magpies. I bought my last one for £60 from albi traps in norfolk but that was a few years ago.

Hope that helps

Chris

Cheers Chris. I'll go and have a look there and on ebay perhaps? Glad I didn't build a ladder trap now - I don't mind the crows so much. If anything they chase the magpies now and again so they're all good!

Edited by njc110381

Up to neck with the damned things down here. When you get the trap and although this, for some reason, doesn't work as well in he field, false nests from hay/straw and 2 or 3 cracked eggs from the farm placed in the capture segments work well in gardens. Pulled my first this year in less than 15 minutes in one garden. One trap in the same position on the farm has caught 10 - moved that one now but it's caught 5 in a new position in less than 48 hours. I'm knadgered!

That's what I need. There are dozens of the little ******** around here and they've learned not to land in my tree! The tree over the road is swimming with them but they don't land here any more. Seen too many of their mates getting shot I guess?

They come here at first light. I'm not getting up that early every day. :no:

I'm looking for a magpie if anyone has a spare one please, anywhere not too far from Holywell, Flintshire. Thank you.

Also, if anyone shoots a fox in this area I am still trying to get hold of one to practice a retrieve with my dog. We managed to find a cub someone had shot but not had the opportunity of a full size one yet. Willing to collect lol

Edited by Pidge