Magnum chambers

Apologies if this is a daft question but firstly, are all 'magnum' cartridges at least 3", and therefore are all 'magnum' proofed shotguns therefore at least 3" chambered?

I have a gun which is stamped 'magnum' and 1200 and I just want to make sure I am OK with 3" loads in it should the need arise.

yeah its just a word....

you want to know what size the chamber is, and what the barrel is proofed to, pressure wise generally then you can work out the load in grams that the shotgun can take.... unless it tell you on the barrel or instructions, or email the makers :)

With shotguns the term "magnum" refers to shells containing more shot and powder than standard shells. A 12-gauge 2 3/4-inch magnum shell, for example, will normally contain 1/4 to 1/2 ounces more shot than a standard shell of the same size and gauge. Magnum shells are often longer than standard shells,But not always... :good: :good:

Guest cookoff013

With shotguns the term "magnum" refers to shells containing more shot and powder than standard shells. A 12-gauge 2 3/4-inch magnum shell, for example, will normally contain 1/4 to 1/2 ounces more shot than a standard shell of the same size and gauge. Magnum shells are often longer than standard shells,But not always... :good: :good:

1.5 oz cartridges in 12gauge 2,3/4" are often called "mini mags" so magnum still is just a word.

the larger cartridges do have more shot, but just a different powder.

OK mine's stamped:

12 -76 - 2

MAGNUM

and 1200 kgs

EDIT: As the chokes are about IC (in fact a bit less I think) I've been advised by a gunsmith that platsic-wadded steel shot up to a maximum of 36gm would be OK, probably up to about size 4. In fact that same advice goes for my Remington 1100 which is choked somewhere between skeet and IC.

Edited by Thunderbird