Reloading 16 bore 65/67mm cartridges

I'm toying with the idea of reloading 16 bore cartridges, for a gun with 2 1/2" chambers, cos the last slab I bought cost £59 - £20+ more than I pay for 12 bore.

Anyone doing this? If so, do tell.

I see that Lee make a loader for 16 bore but it's for 2 3/4" carts. Any way of modifying this for 2 1/2"?

Cheers & TIA,

Steve

You can easily trim 5mm off station 5 (final crimp) and the lee loadall will happily load 65mm cases and still load the 70mm without any alteration.

Although I have sold my 16g off, The sweet 16 is probably one of the best cartridges to reload as factory cartridges are in short supply.

Regards

Graham

You can easily trim 5mm off station 5 (final crimp) and the lee loadall will happily load 65mm cases and still load the 70mm without any alteration.

Although I have sold my 16g off, The sweet 16 is probably one of the best cartridges to reload as factory cartridges are in short supply.

Regards

Graham

True.

Regards

Graham

Thanks.

I can get the Lee press from Midway for just under £70. The next option seems to be a MEC press for around £280 - too rich for my taste.

I guess it would be easy enough to modify the shot bushings to get, for example, 21 gram or 26 gram loads?

I like my 16 and now use it for clays - mostly skeet - hence the desire to reload. It's an old German gun, made for/by Geco probably in 20s or 30s.

You can pick up a secondhand LoadAll for a tenner and buy a 16 gauge conversion kit. Source this option first.

I have ten LoadAlls in 12, 16 and 20 gauges, all modified and dedicated to various loads.

Somewhere on this forum are pics of how I modify the bushes and front panel to make them adjustable. It's not rocket science; all you need is a drill, junior hackssaw and some cheese-head set screws.

I have a boatload of new primed 16 gauge cases, plastic and fibre wads that will be up for grabs soon.

FC

I think I have a 16g conversion kit in the cellar if you get an old load all

Regards

Graham

Thanks Graham. I'll take you up on that offer and I'll PM you if that's ok.

That makes a difference because I can now look for a 12 bore Load-All then I can load both :yes:

ATB,

Steve

You can pick up a secondhand LoadAll for a tenner and buy a 16 gauge conversion kit. Source this option first.

I have ten LoadAlls in 12, 16 and 20 gauges, all modified and dedicated to various loads.

Somewhere on this forum are pics of how I modify the bushes and front panel to make them adjustable. It's not rocket science; all you need is a drill, junior hackssaw and some cheese-head set screws.

I have a boatload of new primed 16 gauge cases, plastic and fibre wads that will be up for grabs soon.

FC

FC, I'll PM you. Steve

Hi, Take it from me as a 65mm 16 bore user, get a lee loadall even a 12 bore one and use it to drop the powder and shot only then RTO new cases in a piller drill by far the best way load and a lot easier than trying to get good crimps, but if you intend reloading once fired crimped cases then a 16g lee or mec is the way to go, Here is a good site, http://www.16ga.com./home.html Jim.

Hi, Take it from me as a 65mm 16 bore user, get a lee loadall even a 12 bore one and use it to drop the powder and shot only then RTO new cases in a piller drill by far the best way load and a lot easier than trying to get good crimps, but if you intend reloading once fired crimped cases then a 16g lee or mec is the way to go, Here is a good site, http://www.16ga.com./home.html Jim.

A LeeLoadAll is brilliant for good crimps, but you must remember to place the shell under the crimp starter with an INWARD crimp-fold facing you. Crimp the shell then pillar-drill roll it. Perfect.

New cases need to be skived first, but are factory standard after spinning.

Got to agree about the lee loadall, I have them in 12g, 16g, 20g, Even use the 12g one to resize,deprime reprime, and crimp my 3 1/2" shells, only use the mec to add some taper so they feed into the auto better, Still cant beat the RTO with a flang disk in the 16g though, :good: Jim.