One gun stalker calibre

Harnser

One of the best calibres I have shot deer with in the states was the 44 magnum pistol . Deer shot with this pistol round are killed instantly with no shoot through . Yes the range is restricted but at 50 yards or so they go down dead . I saw a good white tail buck shot at a good 80 yards with this round and it died instantly . Unfortunately not allowed in this country .

Harnser .

I know a chap who used a .44mag ruger lever action rifle for muntjac. It uses a rotary mag so there is no mag tube to foul a reflex mod. He loaded his own and said it was mustard in woodland.

One gun for deer only it would have to be a 6.5mm round prob a .260 rem maybee due to brass. (due to bullet weights and criteria available and windages)

One gun for all deer, foxes and vermin .243 win. (again same reason)

it dont matter what the actual chambering is at the end of the day only that the bullet suits the task at hand

As njc110381 has said there really isn't an answer to this. British deer species are just too varied. You've got lowland Reds which are like cattle and Muntjac which are like large rodents. One gun to suit that lot is always going to be a compromise. Maddeningly, it is in England where the smallest species are encountered and the calibre flexibility is needed but Scotland which has the better deer related firearms law.

If I could here in England I'd have a .22-250 for small deer up to and including Roe- I think its a much sweeter round than a .243, and more than capable of dealing with Roe- and a .308 for everthing else. Unfortunately as I'm not allowed to shoot Roe with a .22-250 I'll stick to a .308 for everything.