Elderflower pannacotta

hendersons

As you are all aware I've been picking a few lately. This is a rather simple pud you can make.

3 leaves of gelatine

400g of milk

100g of double cream

25g sugar

3/4 heads of elderflower

Soften the gelatine in some cold water for about ten minutes.

Put all the other ingredients into a saucepan and over a medium heat bring to a gentle boil stirring occasionally. When the mix has come to the boil stir in the gelatine (but not the water) until dissolved. Pass through a fine sieve and then set in moulds in the fridge.

I'm serving this with a few raspberrys and some raspberry sorbet but do with it what you will.

Cheers Nick

Hi Clive you really are a very lucky man. I was just thinking about you over the weekend. I went to stay with my dad and ended up taking my cousins dog for a walk. I got my dad to drop me off at the flask then walked down through loxley bottom to malin bridge. From there I walked all the way up rivelin to the post office and then up Manchester road and back to dads. It was a brilliant if a little long walk. I only wish I had taken a rod with me. the number of fish I saw was quite extraordinary.

It sounds like your settling in pretty well over there. I'm glad for you and maybe a little jealous.

Nick

You've no need to be jealous Nick. You live in a beautiful part of the country and more importantly, make the most of it. There are plenty out here and over there who have no idea of how to enjoy the countryside on their doorstep. Also, when you've grown up in industrial areas as we have, it is really rewarding to find those hidden oasis such as the Rivelin Valley through Loxley to the River Don.

Always carry a rod though. You never know when it will come in handy. I have a 7 foot whip from the Poundshop always in my rucksack. A small container with a few trout flies and a couple of strike indicators is all you need to extract those wild brownies. I've also had a few meals of perch from disused canals and smal ponds using the poundshop special and a shrimp imitation.

Do you have a Kelly Kettle?

You've no need to be jealous Nick. You live in a beautiful part of the country and more importantly, make the most of it. There are plenty out here and over there who have no idea of how to enjoy the countryside on their doorstep. Also, when you've grown up in industrial areas as we have, it is really rewarding to find those hidden oasis such as the Rivelin Valley through Loxley to the River Don.

Always carry a rod though. You never know when it will come in handy. I have a 7 foot whip from the Poundshop always in my rucksack. A small container with a few trout flies and a couple of strike indicators is all you need to extract those wild brownies. I've also had a few meals of perch from disused canals and smal ponds using the poundshop special and a shrimp imitation.

Do you have a Kelly Kettle?

Yeah I have a ghillie kettle which is basically the same thing.

The countryside around Sheffield are some of the nicest places I've been to. I think it's the hills that do it. You are never too far away from a decent view.

I never understood the idea of the city farm at heeley. Taking kids from the town centre and showing them a cow. Now I realise that not everybody can come from an area of Sheffield like I do but you would be better off giving them a bit of change for the bus. I struggle to think of a single direction from what used to be the hole in the road, where for £1:30 and thirty minutes travel time you can be in some of the most beautiful rural surroundings this country has to offer.

Incidentally I used to love fishing the canal right from the city centre and out. It was like walking through an industrial museum with a few decent fish to boot. The whole area seems to have a bygone character all of its own.

Big perch in that canal too!

Right, Kelly Kettle scrumper's marbled pudding:

Half a dozen slices of brioche. Brioche has a long sell by date and is ideal as carb's for hikers, etc.

One apple and some soft fruit such as rasberries or blackberries. A large cupful will do.

Satchet of brown sugar nicked from a restaurant like yours.

Cinnamon to taste.

Peel, core and thinly slice the apple. Place in the small pan (or lid as it is somethimes called) of the cookset along with the soft fruit. Cook over a gentle heat stirring the juice over the apple to colour it. Add the sugar and cinnamon if you have it. Keep testing the apple and take it off the heat when it has lost its crispness and gone soft.

Put one slice of brioche in the bottom of the larger pan then break up a second slice and pug the gaps so the base of the pan is fully covered in brioche. spoon in half of the apple to give an even distribution and pour over a third of the liquid. If the soft fruit has not fully turned to mash return it to the cooker and keep cooking until it is mushy.

Add another slice of brioche and again plug the gaps with a broken up second slice. Spoon in the rest of the apple and all the soft fruit along with most of the liquid. Again try and distribute the apple evenly. Place anothe rslice of brioche on top and plug the gaps with the last bit.

Squish the brioche down evenly with a spoon and if possible try and put something on top to add a bit of weight. A metal mug or similar. Let it cool for at least an hour, preferably longer. If you can stand the pan in a shallow stream all the better.

When serving, if you are taking it from the pan use a knife to seperate the edges of the brioche from the pan.

Thi is a larger one I did at home that gves some idea of the result:

Brioce.jpg

And if you are out hiking on your own and want to make the most of windfalls you can make a mini version in your alloy cup. A bit like a summer pudding.

As you are all aware I've been picking a few lately. This is a rather simple pud you can make.

3 leaves of gelatine

400g of milk

100g of double cream

25g sugar

3/4 heads of elderflower

Soften the gelatine in some cold water for about ten minutes.

Put all the other ingredients into a saucepan and over a medium heat bring to a gentle boil stirring occasionally. When the mix has come to the boil stir in the gelatine (but not the water) until dissolved. Pass through a fine sieve and then set in moulds in the fridge.

I'm serving this with a few raspberrys and some raspberry sorbet but do with it what you will.

Cheers Nick

You tight begger, just put a whole one in!!!!

lol :lol: