To shoot or not to shoot

aauser

Having been given permission to shoot a pea field that is being proper hammered I have a proper situation to deal with on one side is a large horse paddock and on the other side a footpath leading to fishing lakes and the field being not very wide at all ,obviously I want to do my best for the farmer but just a tad unsure what to do short of buying a moderated gun what you think chaps????

This is the type of situation where you might consider telling the old bill you're around - if it's a regularly frequented footpath. It works both ways. If any members of the public give you hassle you can ring back reporting them for harassing you as you go about your lawful duty.

Having been given permission to shoot a pea field that is being proper hammered I have a proper situation to deal with on one side is a large horse paddock and on the other side a footpath leading to fishing lakes and the field being not very wide at all ,obviously I want to do my best for the farmer but just a tad unsure what to do short of buying a moderated gun what you think chaps????

As you want to do the best for the farmer, you won't want to cause any issues for him, so I'd recommend trying to position yourself a good few hundred yards away from the horses. Horsey people can be a bit weird, horses can be spooky, and people love to kick up a fuss, you can try your luck shooting closer but I'd really don't think it would be worthy your time.

As for the footpath, is it a public right of way? (i.e 'Public footpath') if it's not, then you can set up against, and shoot away from, without breaking any laws, but again it might be an idea to 'OK' it with the fishing lake owner to stop any fuss. If it is a public footpath, then the law says you can't shoot within 50' of it if you disturb/interrupt anyone. (Which is hard to do, as I'm guessing you won't be able to see who is walking along it while in a hide).

Why don't you post a google maps image of the field, and we'll have a look.

Taken from:

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/rights_of_way/knowledge_portal/advice_notes/shooting#Shooting%20on%20or%20near%20a%20carriageway

Shooting on or near a carriageway

4. It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 s 161(2) to light any fire on or over a carriageway, or discharge any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway which is a carriageway, with the consequence that a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. The section applies to rights of way over which there are vehicular rights, e.g. ways shown on the definitive map as byways open to all traffic, but not to footpaths and bridleways.

Shooting near a footpath or bridleway

5. Good shooting practice requires that at all times consideration should be given to other users of the countryside. Although it is not a specific offence to shoot across a right of way, it is an offence to disrupt user of that way and cause a nuisance. It is suggested that shooting should halt whilst people use nearby rights of way, and that it is ensured that users have left the area before resuming. This is considered to be a necessary safety precaution and it should avoid causing an excessive noise disturbance.

6. The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) produced a guidance document on the control of noise in reference to clay target shooting. It states that, ‘No shooting should take place in the direction of any public right of way (or any building with public access) that is within 275 metres (300 yards) of the shooting position’. It also recommends that all other publicly accessible areas within 1 km of the shoot should have prominent signs displayed by the organisers indicating the existence of the shoot. Greater safety margins may be needed for bridleways. Horses can be unpredictable and dangerous if startled.

Edited by fo5ter

Make sure you have the backing of the farmer, call the police and the surrounding people and explain what you have been asked to do.

Then work out a plan with them, if it won’t work with all concerned, then you have your answer!

Have you watched where the flight line is? As this will give you the best indication of where you can shoot from, given the main wind direction.

You could use shot birds as decoys and kill them just as they land and this will keep the shot in one area and straight into the ground.

However it does sound very limited….

Good luck

TEH

Have chat with the people who own the horses, tell them the days you are planning on shooting and ask them if they could maybe keep the horses in or maybe if the could run an E fence to keep the horses as far away as possable. Hope you are a member of something and have insurance.

As one of the posts says, a sign would not go amiss on the path.

if you set up right you can choose the direction you are shooting the birds as they come in.

Edited by Actionpigeons