NI Licence Fee Proposals

Cannon

The issue is the whole ECHR, to remove them would be a breach of their human rights.

One rule for them and another for us. Just the usual then. Pat1, it would be interesting to see the whole situation looked at through neutral eyes. A detailed review of what we have at present, including a breakdown of the costs involved, would be a very interesting read. It would put us in a better position to understand what is actually going on. The course of action normally taken by the shooting fraternity is, unfortunately, to observe things in a speculative manner.

What galls me about this and a lot of other matters is that those tasked with speaking up for the average Joe are content sitting on their fat ***** smoking cigars,drinking wine and planning their next driven shoot or grouse shoot. All at our expence. These la dee das dont give a monkies for us ordinary sportsmen. Not for them a pigeon hide or a bit of work with a lurcher,o no. I have spoken to a number of executives of one well known shooting support organisation(BASC) and can only say that from my perspective they were only interested in the plus four brigade. They seem to want things as they were one hundred years ago when the squire shot and the pleb poached. Those on this forum who cannot see what is happening are in for a shock. The mafia were renouned for forcing people to pay for their rights. Let those who want a licence pay for it.Their wants will soon change.

Has anyone tried contacting their MLA or MP about there views on the price rise?

I agree, never mind the shooting organisations.

Those numpties in Stormont and Westminster are quite happy to take 40k+ in wages and expenses, may as well (try) to make them earn their money. Their quick enough to want you when they're looking votes.

• 2 weeks later...

Exsisting Fee Proposed Fee

1. Grant of firearm certificate1 £50 £120.00

2. Variation by Chief Constable on application £26 £54.00

of holder (except as mentioned in paragraph 3)

3. Variation by Chief Constable to substitute one £10 £15.00

firearm for another of same calibre or type

4. Duplicate firearm certificate £9 £14.00

Museum firearms licence

5. Grant of museum firearms licence by

the Department of Justice £200 £110.00

6. Extension of museum firearms licence granted by £75 £89.00

the Department of Justice to additional premises

Visitors firearm permit

7. Grant of visitors permit (except where £12 £16.00

paragraph 8 applies)

8. Grant of 6 or more visitors firearm permit (taken together) £60 no longer available

Firearms dealers certificate

9. Grant of firearms dealers certificate £150 £697.00

10. Duplicate firearms dealers certificate No fee £14.00

Edited by tikka.223

The Department is also seeking your views on proposals to:

Move from a fee for the grant of firearm certificate to a fee for an application.

So if you get refused you lose out financially?

Wonder if the likes of BASC or CA have drafted a response to these suggestions.

As for a £54 variation fee, that's a bit over the top. Just hold onto any firearms application packs that you have at the minute and use them when renewing or varying your certificate after the fee's go up. That way it still states the cost will be £50 for grant and £26 for variation lol.

Move from a fee for the grant of firearm certificate to a fee for an application.

That will require legislation though and I doubt that will happen. The fees can be altered with an order but new fees cannot be introduced that way.

To be honest, if fees are going to up massively then I think they might need to alter the law anyway as the current illegal demands for money up front may not be tolerated any longer. The fee is currently only payable upon the grant of the cert so what should actually happen is that they should send you a bill with your certificate. If the new fees are calculated on current work loads then they will immediately become invalid if people start insisting on paying when the cert is granted as the licensing department will be constantly be chasing paymentsn I would imagine.

J.

That will require legislation though and I doubt that will happen. The fees can be altered with an order but new fees cannot be introduced that way.

To be honest, if fees are going to up massively then I think they might need to alter the law anyway as the current illegal demands for money up front may not be tolerated any longer. The fee is currently only payable upon the grant of the cert so what should actually happen is that they should send you a bill with your certificate. If the new fees are calculated on current work loads then they will immediately become invalid if people start insisting on paying when the cert is granted as the licensing department will be constantly be chasing paymentsn I would imagine.

J.