what scope/magnification

smokeyoakey

Hi all,

Sorry but i need some more opinions.

My foxing buddy has brought himself a Sightron S111 10x50x60 and reckons they are the bees knees and i ought to get one.

He has had some quality scopes before and sold his Zeiss and replaced it with the Sightron and reckons for the price compared the other quality scopes they take some beating.

I decided to give Aim fieldsports the uk sightron importer a ring and found them to be very helpful and suggested i have a look at the 6x24x50 which would do anything i wanted from low light to long range no problem.

I have a 8x56 schmidt & bender on my rifle at the moment which is a cracking scope but without the mag.

Anyway to get to the point, i had almost made up my mind to go for the Sightron 6x24x50 when i told my mate he said come over, bring your rifle and i'll show you something.

Off we go,set up couple of 1 pint plastic milk bottles 2 x small plastic lucosade bottles and a couple of small vitamin pill bottles at just over 200 to 325yards set with the rangefinder.

Well, i could see them all clear enough through my scope, then he set his up on 24x and said have a look at that, he then cranked it up to 30x and said what do you reckon bloody amazing was my answer.

He then crancked it up to 40x i adjusted the paralex, unbelievable it hard to explain as i felth that i could hit a small target on 24 or 32 power but on 40 and above i felt that if you dialled it in you could not just hit the target you could place the bullet where you wanted to

My mate said thats the difference if you have got IT you can use it if you want to.

Just to let you know i hit 3 from 6 shots with his rifle with the pint bottles looking like 4 pinters thate the difference hev said to which he has got a point. hisrifle is a accuacy international with a Jewel trigger and a precision barrel etc, cost a bloody fortune i know that but its a cracking set up

sorry for waffling on but i'm confused .com and i want to make the right decision.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated many thanks Smokey

Sorry but I can't imagine a situation shooting foxes where I would use much more than 10 or 12x mag very often. Shooting plastic bottles is one thing, but shooting live targets is totally diffeent. I can't imagine you would need that kind of magnification. The 50x scope may work ok in bright sunlight, but even then the heat haze would make it a bit hit and miss on hot days. To each their own, but I would think the 6-24x is a much more usable 'scope in the real world.

A wide field of view is one of the most crucial aspects of fox shooting, shooting a bottle in good light off a bipod is pretty straight forward. Shooting a jumpy fox at night in low light just off a beam and you have maybe 3 seconds to make the shot, You cant be messing about trying to find the fox in your scope. To sell a Ziess for a Sightron, well it takes all types I suppose unless the reticule was wrong.

Personally on my main fox rifle I have a 5.5x22 x 50 NSX, on the back up a Swaro 6x24x50. I shoot foxes out to about 300 yards, most below 150 yards and very very rarely use more than 8x. IMHO your 8x56 will serve you better as a night time fox scope than the Sightron. Very long distance daylight target work is of course another thing completely and the dial-able Sightron would be best suited.

Why not have both with 2 sets of mounts, then just whip the mounts off when you change scopes, a shot of two to check zero and you are away.

A