How to start wildfowling

JA3llis

Hi all just after some info on wildfowling really. I have seen a few videos and it looks like a nice variation to just vermin control on a farm. I would like to know how to start in the sport and any clubs local to Chesterfield. I am a firearms and shotgun holder so that side is sorted just any help with finding a club would be great. Thanks

I agree, you can have a look at the permits available from the BASC wildfowling booklet (I've been told the 2012/13 issue will be ready for the CLA game fair. If you conatct BASC, they will send you one directly). You'll find a list of clubs and people willing to take you out and guide through the basics like quarry recognition, safety, suitable ammunition etc... It's a great way to understand what wildfowling is about.

For more info, have a look at this website http://www.wildfowling.com/. It's not a complete list of clubs but you can find where the nearest club with vacancies is. Good luck !

Wildfowling is not an easy sport of a novice. A good wildfowler takes years to assemble knowledge on quarry habbits and dangers on the foreshore and to take your first flights without some guidance would be unwise. I would contact a couple of your local clubs ( do not hang about as many clubs only intake new members once a year - around now.)

The club is likely to keep you as a probationary member for the first season and will only allow you to shoot with other club members until you prove yourself a reliable safe gun. But this also has benifits for you as you will shooting with experianced members who will give you a lot of info on good fowling spots and the dangers of tides , weather ect.

Good luck

Edited by anser2

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I joined a club for this season (not in the basc book but is registered with them) and I'm a probationary member until a full spot becomes available. Means I have to go out with a veteran member, but I'm grateful of it as I'll learn so much more than having to figure it out on my own, and not get in heaps of trouble. The chap who will be taking me also has a dog, 4x4 , decoys, calls and all the other business that goes along with it, he's shot the area for years so knows the good spots, he's a great shot, all the tides, and very helpful and will be keeping a keen eye on me so it keeps every one safe. I hope he passes as much onto me as possible an Ill be over the moon if I get 1 or 2 down all season. And preferably a goose of some sort as my nan wants one for Christmas dinner this year.

Edited by dan-250

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I joined a club for this season (not in the basc book but is registered with them) and I'm a probationary member until a full spot becomes available. Means I have to go out with a veteran member, but I'm grateful of it as I'll learn so much more than having to figure it out on my own, and not get in heaps of trouble. The chap who will be taking me also has a dog, 4x4 , decoys, calls and all the other business that goes along with it, he's shot the area for years so knows the good spots, he's a great shot, all the tides, and very helpful and will be keeping a keen eye on me so it keeps every one safe. I hope he passes as much onto me as possible an Ill be over the moon if I get 1 or 2 down all season. And preferably a goose of some sort as my nan wants one for Christmas dinner this year.

Best of luck Dan, it sounds like you are onto a winner! I did my probationary fowling year last year and found it very useful, this year I'm experimenting! As for the couple of ducks all season...thats a possibility if it's as quiet as it was last! :lol:

As for goose, I hope you get to see more than I did, let alone have a shot at one. :yes:

There's a few about but come season I bet they all disappear . It's mainly the trent and on the Humber but is a bit of marsh out towards Grimsby I think. The club has just leased another 28 acres for this season too. So hopefully there will be 1 or 2 about. I know the types of ducks but seeing them in flight while it's nearly dark is another thing to learn.

Well done mate, you will love it :good: