anyone know about tree diseases?

pegasus bridge

pigeon watch has always been a fountain of knowledge, so i thought i would try this one; i have got a pear tree (i was told it is a pear tree - never seen any pears on it in 10 years).

for the last three summers, it has lost its leaves around now, i dont pay much attention to it - and just put this down to very dry weather. as the leaves started to grow back in sept /oct.

this year though i have been keeping a close eye on it - all was well until a couple of weeks ago, when the leaves started to develop brown spots, quickly leading to most of them turning brown and falling off the tree. the tree itself seems fine - its been growing as normal.

does anyone know what this is? can i do anything about it?

cheers :good:

a couple of pics i took today ;

close up of the leaves;

post-9454-0-06494300-1341144101.jpg

this tree was covered in leaves a couple of weeks ago

post-9454-0-19416400-1341144119.jpg

It looks like scab to me. Scab is controlled by spraying with a fungicide from as soon as the buds appear and then at regular intervals through the growing season. Collect all leaves and burn as these will contain spores which will pass to tree the next year.

Use a fungicide spray containing myclobutanil.

thanks everyone for your input :good:

will treat as scab to start with, only slight worry is - last year and the year before i composted all the leaves!! spread the compost on the veg patch.

Pear Scab really will only effect pears, or any related cultivars.

Compost that has heated up should, in theory, kill the spores or so we like to kid ourselves.

Fingers crossed.