No gun cabinet needed for 1 shot gun?

Hello all,

apologies if this is an obvious question, but I've heard/read somewhere that if you only have 1 shotgun then you dont need a cabinet, instead you just need to have 2 brackets with locks to attach the gun to the wall, is there any truth in this?

I've only just sent off my SGC application off today, and wanted to have the security arrangements in well before the FAO visits.

Many thanks :)

Richard

You can get what is known as a gun clamp which locks through the trigger guard and covers the action. It screws to the wall and you lock the gun in it somewhere out of sight.

I think they're accepted in decent areas in properties with good security. If you live somewhere a bit rough or with old fashioned windows and doors I'm not so sure they'd be happy? Ring the FEO and ask - he won't bite. :good:

Shotgun storage and safe keeping in the home.

The precise requirements for storage of shotguns are not actually specified in law. The legislation merely says that they "must be stored securely at all times so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorized persons". In practice, a steel cabinet constructed and certified to comply with BS 7558 and Rawlbolted to a solid wall is the norm. The vast majority of commercially available gun and rifle cabinets meet the necessary standards. If your premises have shared access, for example if you live in a block of flats, the requirements may be more stringent. In all cases the requirement to prevent access to the shotgun by "unauthorised persons", means anyone who doesn't personally hold a SGC. This means that even members of your family must not have keys to the cabinet or even know where you keep them.

Hope this helps

I've just found Cheshire police's guidance on this sort of thing....

1. The security of firearms and shotguns within dwellings can in most cases

be achieved by the provision of a cabinet designed for this purpose. New

cabinets should conform to the requirements of BS7558 – 1991. A gun

room with adequate and window security may also be acceptable. Rifle

bolts ought to be stored separately in a similar container, this may form part

of the main cabinet. Alternative methods of achieving a similar standard of

security may be acceptable. The FEO will assist and advise.

Separate, detached buildings or other attached but having only external

access, for example outhouses, garages, etc, should not be used unless the

security levels warrant it.

2. Some types of gun clamp may be considered a suitable alternative to a

cabinet if you possess only one gun. Please consult your Firearms Enquiry

Officer.

3. The cabinet or gun clamp should be fixed to the structure of the building

and suitably located so as to prevent removal. Where numerous guns are

kept (i.e. in excess of 10) consideration should be given to the installation

of an audible intruder alarm, protecting all or part of the building.

4. External doors should be of good construction, secured with good quality

locks and suitable locks or security devices on ground floor windows and

patio doors.

This bit is interesting...

A gun room with adequate and window security may also be acceptable.

My intended storage room (which I've put on the application form) has no windows, and only one door to the hall, so the possibility of having a couple (if needs be) guns in clamps with good security on the door appears to be there as an alternative to a cabinet. The only trouble is the meters and boiler is there, so the meter reader/boiler repair man can see that I have a gun, or I'm I being too paranoid?

Maybe it is best to ask the FAO afterall :)

Many thanks for the replies :D

Richard

My intended storage room (which I've put on the application form) has no windows, and only one door to the hall, so the possibility of having a couple (if needs be) guns in clamps with good security on the door appears to be there as an alternative to a cabinet. The only trouble is the meters and boiler is there, so the meter reader/boiler repair man can see that I have a gun, or I'm I being too paranoid?

Maybe it is best to ask the FAO afterall :)

Many thanks for the replies :D

Richard

A gun room is more than a standard room with a good door. It has to be of considerably more study construction and will need either purpose building or a considerable conversion. A friend of mine had a small room converted into a gun room. He had to have the ways rebuild to be much stonger than they were originally built to be, concrete floor and ceiling and a steel security door in a frame that looked to be able to survive a bomb blast. Not a light hearted undertaking!

I also think that the same consideration for cabinet access wise applies to a gun room, so you would not be able to let anyone in to see the bioler/meter without you being present at all times. Even then I dont know if your FEO would like the British Gas man in a room with open view to guns.

Please, do correct me if I am wrong, as always!

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

For a room you need reinforced door and frame usually steel, reinforced by steel plate or heavy gauge mesh ceiling and walls, or concrete blocks (not breeze but solid concrete laud sideways this is usually for RFD's or large collections! If you have a room just buy a cabinet I recommend 5 gun minimum and bolt it in, will be accepted by FEO if properly fixed and clamps are rare and might not be passed.

You can wait till interview and discuss with FEO I did and it meant a return visit to check cabinet was fitted properly but allowed me to discuss the location. Also meant I knew I was likely to get cert before buying cab and bolting it in!

A gunsmith I know converted a standard workshop to an FEO approved workshop which involved a lot of steel bars over all windows and a steel bar door and reinforced ceiling as well as internal room with steel frame and security doot all topped off with a monitored alarm system!

Compared to cash/jewellery security firearms is quite basic just compare the cost of a gun cabinet to a £10k cash rated safe! Also the weight!

Edited by HDAV

So I won't be having a gun room then :lol: :lol:

On second thoughts I might just wait for the FAO to pop around and I can discuss security with him then face to face. At the moment I'm only interested in a single shot gun, trying to get a FAC and more shotguns appears to be too costly and generally a pain in the ****, however my interest might extend beyond just a single shotgun hitting clays on a Wednesday evening, but just doing that appears to be thrilling to me at the moment :)

Again, many thanks for the replies, it's all food for thought!

If anyone's interested, I have no choice but a cabinet. Cheshire has a cabinet only policy, and has done for 15 years.

I pointed out to the FEO that it mentions a clamp on the firearms booklet, to which his reply was "I have no idea why that's still on there." :lol: :lol:

Again, many thanks for the replies :)

Edited by Richard V