Bankers - don't you just love 'em

Drayman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more cleverer than you then. :yes: I got 9 (although I think it was 8 + 1 CSE). Didn't do any further education after that. I knew it all.

Haha.... I got a diploma in higher ed (2 out of 3 years of a P/T bus studies degree) and me professionals :P

Christ.... you do realise that if you and I were in the job market today we'd be pretty much unenployable :blink:

Edited by Vipa

First of all, I have never and will never, be employed in any of the above mentioned industries. I'd just like to raise a few points, don my body armour and retire to my bunker.........

1) I am personally aware of the total inaccuracy of newspaper reporting and how they are capable of manipulating public sentiment....there are lies, damm lies and statistics......why do we continue to buy whole sale into their hype?

2) As a country which has no remaining industry to speak of, we are heavily reliant on the financial sector and our position as one of the leading world centres. This does not in any way mean we should turn a blind eye to any illegality or malpractice, however, if we continue to vilify and pillory banks and their management, they can and will relocate. Internationally the banks dropped 'us' and 'them' in it. But how much of that was down to we, as individuals borrowing money that we couldn't afford to repay, (So the banks lent it......but that doesn't absolve the borrowers of personal responsibility) to give ourselves an instant lifestyle that we thought we were owed or deserved. If you ain't got the money, you don't get it. Seemed to serve our older generations quite well.......

3) How much of this is just down to jealousy because 'we' perceive that 'they' earn more than 'us'? If you want to earn those sort of wages then become a CEO!! If you want cheap holidays, then work for a travel agent or airline, if you want good money and time off, then work on the rigs, if you want the (laudable) satisfaction of saving lives, become a paramedic....the list is endless. Each career path offers many different 'perks', many not monetary. I am sure that most of us derive some sort of satisfaction from our careers, even if it's the camaraderie of our colleagues. Invariably we trade responsibility for money, we wouldn't all like the loneliness that a leadership position can bring.

4) The banking industry is global. It decides the renumeration packages it needs to pay it's top talent to keep them. It's no different to football (and there's a group of people that generally I dislike and don't think are worth it)

We just seem to be on a self destruct. RBS owes us - the tax payer- money. About 35 billion, I am led to believe. We need to parachute in a top talent to turn it around and to get our investment back. That talent is going to cost the going market rate. But the great British public, spurred on by the press, demand that he return his bonus!!! I too would be a tad p'd off if I was in his position. So we can no longer attract the talent we need and we lose the lot.....brilliant!

Alternatively, we could blame everything on the bankers....make them wear a an identifying badge.......maybe round them up.....confiscate all their property........... :o

So, I'm not a banker, I too am overworked, underpaid (but get to do a lot of things that money just can't buy) and think we should wind our necks in and stop bitching - go figure!! :yp:

The banking industry is global. It decides the renumeration packages it needs to pay it's top talent to keep them. Gawd 'elp us if this is what top talent can do.