help with bras!!?! i mean brass.

i got about 300 223 brass cases from a friend of a friend who saved his brass with the intention of reloading but never did. among it there was 90 cases in their original boxes which held 30 rounds, it was a plain white box with, SMI 5.56 (m855 IP) printed on it. the case head had SMI 86 09 stamped and the primers had 3 crimp marks around them. i decapped one of them and when i put in the new primer i noticed that it was in below the line of the case head.

is this brass ok to reload with?

I think these are military Berdan primed cases, there are dies to remove this primer so the cases can be reloaded so as long as the brass is in good order then I would say you`re ok to use.

Try firing a primed case to see what sort of primer strike you get.

I think you are right - These cases will probably be Berdan primed and really only good for scrap. Yes - it is possible to reload Berdan cases but you would need to be pretty desperate and also locate some Berdan primers. If you look inside the case, a Boxer primed case only has one flash hole a Berdan case has two. To de-cap them you will need to use a hydraulic system or a claw to rip them out.

SMI (Società Metallurgica Italiana, Campo Tizzoro, Italy) will be Italian Mil-Surp, m855 may be steel core tipped bullets. These cases are designed for 5.56 military use not .223 commercial/civilian, I would full length re-size the cases and run a primer pocket cleaner and de-burr the pockets as well, in fact I'd probably just toss them!.