Gun and cartridge combo

Al69ec

How many of you find that gun to cartridge combo's really matter? I have a Parker hale o/u and a AYA s/s both are choked the same barrels are same length and the stocks measure the same. Now I have a slab of Kent velocity HIV pigeon 6# 29g I can take good range pigeon with the o/u and it groups well on the pattern plate but with the s/s with the same carts I can't hit a barn door and the patterning is all over the place. Is it the gun/ cart or could it be something else?

I guess that the lack of replies would indicate that there is no simple answer to your question.

There are several variables, from drop at heel, barrel wear, length of chamber to taper of choke boring to start with.

Any of the above will have some effect. I'd be tempted to sell the sxs!

GH

i said this in another topic the other day.

my mate and i petterned 50 gram BBs at 50 yards for goose shooting with our SX3s. mine is a 28" field and his is the 30" synthetic. with half chokes in both our guns, we shot 5 shells each, my patterns were terrible where as his were perfect. i couldnt believe the difference.

I always understood the combination could make a big difference as you seem to be confirming.

I've only ever used 4 different cartridges in my Prevail and not used a pattern plate for 3 of them - perhaps I should, who knows it might convince me to buy something different!!

I always understood the combination could make a big difference as you seem to be confirming.

I've only ever used 4 different cartridges in my Prevail and not used a pattern plate for 3 of them - perhaps I should, who knows it might convince me to buy something different!!

definatley worth killing some cardboard boxes to see the effect changing cartridges has on your shooting,too many people singing the same song on that 1.its probably gunfit as well my beretta fits sweet but my hatsan took setting up loves eley 6.5 pigeon aims high with fiocchis <dont know if thats spelt right>,the kestrel seems sweet with both so maybe the stock is just right for my old bones :lol: .hope this helps but if you got the dollars a good coach /gunsmith should help your gunfit suit you.atb clakk

While I know that different carts will pattern differently in different guns, stationery pattern plates can only tell you so much, shooting moving targets is different.

I think that while there must be a difference, in most cases I think the real reason for misses is the shooter. I tend to think that while the different cartridges/shot size/chokes etc all have an effect, I think that it's almost all down to where the gun is pointed, and unless the shooter is very good I don't think they can actually notice any real difference.

I might be very wrong however, I have not spent much time trying different carts, I just buy the cheapest in the size I want and shoot them, and blame myself for the misses.