17 HMR

RFD CHRIS

As a newbie to the forum I am glad to see so many people are giving words of wisdom for all to share, it's really good to get opinions of others because you sometimes miss that which is so simple, and right under your nose. My 243 is definatley my caliber of choice for foxing but I agree 17 hmr is a great caliber for that slightly longer rabbits. I look forward to many more conversations on all aspects of shooting with you all.

What is your opinion on the 17 HMR fantastically flat and fast, zero stays in over a great distance, but is it to light for a fox caliber and to destructive for rabbits.

I really like the caliber but do sometimes struggle with it's use, it's is on the appropriate caliber list for vermin control, and have used it myself to great affect, let's have some opinions from the PW members.

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying its bad I just wondered if you all have some thoughts you could share.

i never found it too damaging on bunnies unless shot in the body at close range. found it to have poor terminals through unpredictability of the bullets (especially shooting crows) 10 yds nearer or further and it often yielded completely different results. Wind lets it down on the placement it seems to require around 150 + mark. mine was a blooming good tack driver when the wind was predictable enough. Lower ricochets is totally BS its far worse than the .22 in and around rushy fields. It has many fans though i know many who got rid

I think HMR should be the recommended first calibre for new shooters. It's easy to use and effective up to 150yds in good conditions. Pretty flat to 120yds and not too bad in a light wind at that distance. Meat damage is a bit variable, but even with a heart shot you can simply chop of the front quarter of the rabbit and take the back where most of the meat is.

A shot bang on the front shoulder smashes the bone and destroys the heart every time, they don't run from that.

That sums it up perfectly. Would have loved a .22,cheaper ammo and quieter,but the hmr's flatter trajectory was the big selling point for me. Most of my rabbits go to the dogs,so its heart shots most of the time,and they don't get up from those. All in all a very effective rabbit gun. :good:

I think the .17HMR has a place in most people's cabinet!

The pros and cons have been set out quite well. It is a bit noisy, bit expensive to feed but great fun. We can go on about 'vital pest control' but we are basically shooting for fun and the HMR is more fun than the .22RF.

I tend to use the .17HMR for walking around in the daylight or to extend range if bunnies become lamp shy and need taking further out.

The .22RF is my 'go to' gun for mass bunny control (off the wing mirror on silage aftermaths). Although I put 4:1 through the .22 I wouldn't want to be without either.

I would suggest a new shooter put in for both, has a play and makes up their own mind. If I did it again think I would have gone for a Sako Quad.