Help-oil stock finish

billytheghillie

today i applied to half my stock of my beretta Tru-oil gun stock finish. i applied with my finger and put it in airing cupboard to dry.it looks really good but still a little tacky, question is should i rub it in with steel wool as per instructions, i am a bit nervous putting steel wool on it.if so what grade of wool should i use. all comments and suggestions most welcome. cheers.

yes use steel wool very gently (ie not much pressure) once it dries, then you can apply more layers and it will adhere to the rough surface very well

use the finest steel wool you can get. I ended up with 6 layers of oil when i did mine, stell wool inbetween each layer

you are better off doing the whole stock rather then just half as you will get a colour border mismatch otherwise

you can either leave the last coat as it is or buy some tru-oil sheen and conditioner which takes the glossy shine off slightly. Its also useful to have in your cleaning box to re-apply once a year just to keep the wood at its best.

the more oil you put on the more the glossy the finish will appear so the sheen will dull it down very slightly

forgot to mention im my last post that you need 00 steel wool