17 HMR, 17 gr or 20 gr?

Down South

I've been using 20 gr Hornady hollow points for some time, it's a good killer of rabbits with mimimal damage but if you chest shoot a fox that comes into range then its not so lethal. I've bought some Federal V shock 17 gr and again it's lethal on rabbits and also to the 2 foxes that were daft enough to get within range last night. The first head shot at 60 yds, no entry wound found but plenty of blood from both ears, instant death. The second shot in the chest from the front, similar range, instant, very little blood and no sign of damage. I think I'll stick to Federal from now on. No pics, I don't do that!

Hi DS,

I have some 20g hp's - as yet untried though.

As far as the 17g's - I prefer 17 ballistic tips for rabbits (headshots so don't worry about damage) and 17 hollow points for foxes (if I'm not using centrefire) - I always favour a head shot, but have found them drop ok to chest shots within reasonable ranges too.

I'm not doubting your preferences, they are based on your experience which is the most important thing.

Happy hunting

AndyCM

Hi DS,

As far as the 17g's - I prefer 17 ballistic tips for rabbits (headshots so don't worry about damage) and 17 hollow points for foxes (if I'm not using centrefire) - I always favour a head shot, but have found them drop ok to chest shots within reasonable ranges too.

I'm not doubting your preferences, they are based on your experience which is the most important thing.

Happy hunting

AndyCM

Now try the 17hmr FMJ for comparison, thats if you can hold of them

Jonno

Hi DS,

Happy hunting

AndyCM

Jonno

its illeagal to shoot live quarry with FMJ's :angry::no: :yp:

Jonno

Do you mean the 20grn Hollow points?

No mate CCI now manu.......... 20grain FMJ. Slightly lower FPS @ 2375

<Clickerty click>

Until now you couldn't own a 17hmr if you just wanted it for target use but with the introduction of FMJ

I use the 20grn HP at the moment. I have very good accurate results with it and minimal flesh damage with correct shot placement. It does shoot slightly lower than the ballistic tip 17grain

And as Varget has kindly pointed out it is illegal to shoot live quarry with FMJ

Jonno

Very intresting, a FMJ for plinking! Whats the cost cause if its owt like V Max and HP its getting very hard to get at the moment! :angry:

The 17hmr ammo seems to be very difficult to get at cheap prices anymore. Seems demand is too high. I got stung a few months ago by York guns

£23.50 for 100 federal :no: :yp: :yp:

Jonno

DS, I have been using CCI ammunition in my .17hmr. They are a true hollow point and tend to hit very hard when used in the chest area of a fox.

I have taken a couple of foxes at @ 60 yds using this ammo, and both foxes lunged forward for a few paces before dropping stone dead. :angry:

I don’t consider the hummer to be a dedicated fox rifle, but when the opportunity arises then I have the confidence that it will do the job if the shot is placed correctly and the correct ammo used.

Just as an aside, do you have fox on your ticket for the .17hmr.

G.M.