Hello!

madshitbrain

• 2 weeks later...

Not like to bump my thread but I get this problem in England and maybe it is because I foreign? Nobody likes to speaking me.

I think I am lucky that I am black as I do not have problems having to camoflage my face eh? I seem to do better than my friend Mike who is white.

Is everyone ok with me being here? I am getting interested in airgunning I buy a second hand Weobly Omega air rifle with pro system silencer and Optima Moonlighter 3-9X56 scope and Barnett light to mount on scope and I do well lamping in Hereford area now.

I get 6 bunnies last night, I paunched them and they are hanging up in shed now, I look forward to eating they tomorrow.

Does anybody like to talk to me here?

Thank you for reply, mad****brain is my nickname in work, I could not think of any other name because first name I choose was taken. :D

Sorry about that and I see other replys to my other topic thank you for replying.

Sometimes my English not brilliant and I cannot post much, I speak better than write but I hope you don't mind me being here and I love airgun, I only work in a kitchen with my friend Mike and I earn little money so the bunnies help me in my shopping bill :D a tin of eley wasps are cheaper than buying lots of food eh? B)

Bunnies should be paunched as soon as possible after killing and are best frozen or kept in the refrigerator unless the weather is really cold as they spoil. They cannot be hung like hares are.

Save the livers, kidneys and tongues as they make good gravy.

Your initial post didn't have anything for people to follow a thread (such as a request for advice), which is why there were no responses.

There are members on here from all over the world.

Yes I paunch the bunnies when I out on the shoot, I always bury the guts, farmer not like the foxes and badgers.

I am going out again today for few hours to try for some crows, field was ploughed and lots of crows and woodies, I have decoy crows and woodies and I will setting them out facing into the wind, is this best way to set them out?

Looking forward to this as I make hide in hedge with couple of milk crates for seat and also scrim nettings to cover over camoflage so I not seen.

Any recipes for pigeon pies?

Also I like to try eating rooks, there are lots of rooks on my shoot, has anyone tried? and what is best way to cook them please?

Pigeon pie recipe under "Recipes" bird on the main page.

"The rook affords a dry and coarse meat. A pie made of young rooks is tolerable; at least, it is the best form of using these birds as food. There is, in the opinion of some, a resemblance between the flavour of the young rook and that of the young pigeon.

Rook pie - Rooks require long stewing, or they will not be tender. The breasts are the only parts of the birds which are really worth using, and when the other portions are put into the dish, care should be taken to cut out the spine and the flesh near it to the width of three quarters of an inch, or the pie will have a bitter taste. Many cooks lay the birds in a dish, season them with pepper and salt, put a coards flour-and-water crust over them, and then bake then for a couple of hours; the next day they remove the common crust, lay good pastry over them, and bake the pie in the usual way. The following recipe will, however be found very good:

Take six or eight freshly killed young rooks. Skin without plucking them, and to do this cut the skin round the first joint of the legs, and draw it over the head. Cut off the necks, draw the birds, and cut away the legs, backs and wings. Cut a pound of chunk steak into neat squares, pepper these, and lay them in a pie dish, pouring over them half a teacupful of stock or water, cover the dish closely, and bake themeat until it is almost done enough, Lay the breastsof the rooks upon the steak, with a small slice of butter upon each. Sprinkle over them a seasoning of salt, pepper and pounded mace, and pour over them as much stock or water as will barely cover them. let them bake gently for half an hour, Let the dish cool, then line the edges with good pastry, cover it with the same, ornament according to taste, make a hole in the centre that the steam may escape, and bake in a brisk oven. When the pastry is done enough, the pie may be served. Time to bake, altogether two hours and a half, probable cost, uncertain, rooks being seldom sold. Sufficient for five or six persons.

Rook Pie (another way) -Skin and draw six young rooks, and cut out the backbones. Season them with pepper and salt, put them in a deep dish with half a pint of water, lay some bits of butter over them and cover the dish with a tolerably thick crust. Let the pie be well baked."