BSA Lightning Spring

dibbz2000

Hi, anyone know how to change a spring on a BSA lightning, the power on mine is like a wet **** (excuse the french) at the moment. Im off to the gsmiths 2morrow to get one but im not sure how to install it, anyone with any diagrams or just a step by step would be greatly apprciated!

Cheers Martin

Hi there personally i dont know how to fit a spring.If you have never installed one yourself before i would highly recomend you took it to a gun shop.That way you will know that it is fitted safely and succurly for your use.If you are not up for paying to get it fitted just ask the gun shop for some tips and im sure they will probalbly help.

Will

Hi, anyone know how to change a spring on a BSA lightning, the power on mine is like a wet **** (excuse the french) at the moment. Im off to the gsmiths 2morrow to get one but im not sure how to install it, anyone with any diagrams or just a step by step would be greatly apprciated!

Cheers Martin

Hello Martin, it’s been some years since I changed a spring in a rifle and I guess the advice on having the gun shop do it is the best advice. However I recently had the chance to see a BSA lightning in action with a Theoben Gas Ram installed, there was virtually no re-coil and I was very impressed how silent it was, the ram was factory set to produce 11.5FT/PS. I don’t know much about gas rams but the owner seemed very impressed on the rifles increased performance and accuracy. Just a thought and hope this may help.

Ps Theoben Gas Rams available for the BSA Lightning Here.

My dad used to do my bsa ligthnings spring change, its so easy m8.

take the stock of, at the end of the gun theres a black clip, pull it of, ule see a metal rod going through, what we used to do is get a car jack, cut out a peice of copper pipe so it goes over the metal rod and will push the spring, put the copper pipe on the car jack, lightning on top, and if you ave a draw of something, or even get someone to hold it down, pump the jack and release the springs presure on the rod, tap the rod out, and realease the jack the spring will come out, then just stick your new one in, put some molly grease on the new spring, and do the same in reverse :lol:

HTH m8 :lol:

PS. i wouldnt advise you to put a gas-ram in the lightning, i did, and it was putting out 18ftlb, so took it out, and plus the lock time is out of this world :lol: just my opinion, but go with what you fills wright :lol:

Martin, think very hard before you decide to replace the spring yourself. I changed the spring on my Meteor and whilst in theory its a very simple thing to do, its also very dangerous if you don't have the correct tools. The pressure behind the spring is immense and would certainly cause an awful lot of damage. What makes it worse still is, an old spring has less tension so its easier to remove, fitting the new spring with more tension is alot harder.

Best advice, get the smith to do it.