split charge system or cable between batteries

theosmith

i got a little suzuki jimny with only a little baby battery!

im running my ight force lamp off of this and really makes the engines revs dip! so kind of strugling on the alternator

what i was thinking is what problems would it cause just running a second bigger battey with just an isolation which i can turn off once im starting to lamp therefore not using power from cranking battery or alternator.

then when im driving i will turn isolation back on to charge it again will also give that extra juice come winter time and be there for when i get a winch.

or would you get a split charge with relays and if so why?

It's getting late so I might be missing something here, but looking at this diagram it appears that the leisure battery is isolated from the other circuits - apart from the few seconds when the red battery light is lit on the dash (ie when turning on the ignition on and before starting the engine)?

If this was right the leisure battery wouldn't get charged up and just go flat. :hmm:

Do you have a link to the site? is there an explanation of it it works?

Cheers HW682

Edited by HW682

It's getting late so I might be missing something here, but looking at this diagram it appears that the leisure battery is isolated from the other circuits - apart from the few seconds when the red battery light is lit on the dash (ie when turning on the ignition on and before starting the engine)?

If this was right the leisure battery wouldn't get charged up and just go flat. :hmm:

Do you have a link to the site? is there an explanation of it it works?

Cheers HW682

The wire from the 'no charge light' will have +12 whenever the alternator is charging. When the ignition is on but the alternator is not running (lamp on) the 12v ignition feed goes through the lamp and earths at the alternator, to 'excite' it. When the engine starts and the alternator begins outputting current it gives out +12 volts where the no charge light goes in, giving you +12 to the lamp on both contacts. This makes the potential difference at the lamp 0, so it goes out.

This wire will then be live and will thus activate the relay when the engine is running, allowing that battery to charge and be drained as appropriate. When the engine is shut off (or, to be more accurate, when the alternator output is zero) it switches off the relay.

When the engine is running you have 2 batteries connected, when it's off your back to 1. Running the lamp off the leisure battery is still draining both batteries, it just gives you more amps from the batteries. It's only gives any real gain when the engine is off, allowing you to drain the leisure battery without flattening your starter battery.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing up a old post but what thickness would the poss wire to the second battery have to be I'm thinking they should be of equal thickness of that of the alt to main batt ??

Or am I missing something

M1

I would say that the thickness used to the alternator should be fine. If mounting the battery some distance away then it's a good idea to make it thicker still.

The diagram shown uses a 10 amp fuse, which isn't much really. Using a wire that can take 15+ plus would be fine.